How will the net neutrality bill affect the very poor?

As many of you know, we've only recently stopped living pay check to pay check. While never hungry, I almost always needed to go shopping on pay day to get things like milk and flour, and fresh fruit.

It's not a great feeling. I've always teased my husband and said I'm amazing (and I am, don't get me wrong.) But we needed our money deposited ON TIME each week. Sometimes going as far to go out after midnight to get things like coffee for the morning, because the paycheck was available.

So my question is this-if every internet transaction is given equal priority, and some people have insane, let's say porn or gaming habits, and that then ties up financial transactions, how is this whole thing going to effect those people who need their money to feed their babies?

Have we really thought this thing through?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:52 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Forgive me, I haven't heard of this bill. It doesn't sound good...just from what you post.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If money is that tight, when all the FCC fees are added on, you likely won't be able to afford internet. Take a look at all the charges on your phone bill. Internet will be the same way.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I suspect, the first time someone that "matters" gets screwed by this it will be watered down or reversed. Until then, there will be problems that people who don't understand the net won't even connect to net neutrality. They'll just sit and complain about their net not working right. It will be a while before it falls apart. As of right now, everything that's online is basically up to the same minimum standard. A year from now, when equipment isn't being replaced or upgraded like it is today, that's when people will feel it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm not even worried about whether or not the poor can afford the actual internet- well actually I am, but that's another post entirely. I'm worried about people's gaming habits interfering with the direct deposit system.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

She's not talking about people having net access at home -she's talking about your paycheck being electronically deposited into your bank by your employer. When they stop enforcing minimum standards for infrastructure, it will impact everything, but when that means financial transactions are hosed up along with everything else, the people who live paycheck to paycheck will suffer most (same for those waiting for their unemployment deposit, food stamp deposit, disability, social security,etc).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• BTW - as it stands now, the FCC has enacted these rules and currently it's congress pushing for a bill to overturn it. We'll see how it pans out, but for a while, "net neutrality bill" may refer to those opposing the restrictions rather than adding to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:04 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I had assumed she was checking her account for her balance.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:05 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• LOL- no, we are okay now. *big smile* This last year has been truly wonderful

I still worry about the millions of Americans in the same position as we were-and the ripple effect on the economy-can you imagine, money just hanging out in limbo, not making it into the hands that desperately need to spend it?
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Under the proposed legislation, the FCC would be prohibited from reclassifying broadband under Title II of the Communications Act, a
    change FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has proposed
    ("'in order to allow the government to impose rules designed to preserve Internet's openness" Government control our internet that should scare everyone!!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:38 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not really sure what the bill is about (never heard of it). Are we talking about the capability of having our paychecks direct deposited?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010