Are all the Norse gods actually white?

Does anyone actually know? A friend posted the following link on my face book wall (it's VERY anti-right, just a warning),

Does anyone actually know what color a god would be? Does it say somewhere?

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/41108/marvel-boycotted-by-white-supremacists/

Can you believe the things people get upset by?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'd say it's a safe assumption that Thor is white, Jesus is kind of tannish and Anubis is more of a chocolate color, but that doesn't explain or justify idiots having a hissy over a comic book character that is loosely based on a god. That would be like people having a fit because the actor who plays Jesus on South Park has the wrong accent.

BTW I find it absolutely HYSTERICAL that this is a Christian group protesting what color someone portrays one of my gods, when the current leader of the The Troth (the national Heathen org in the US) is black.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No one knows for certain what their "gods" actually look like which is why they often take on the ethnicity of those who believe in them. If you ask a Christian born and riased in Egypt what Jesus looked like you willl no doubt get a physical resemblence of the believers own ethnicity. Same goes for the different gods in Asia, Europe, Africa, South America, etc. Some "gods" are crossed with various animals but if you ask about their human features you will no doubt get a description similar to that of the believer.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at it. It's horrible. Of all the things to be mad about.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Considering that Norse people are historically Caucasian, one could draw the conclusion that their gods would have been the same. As with any mythical god, people see and portray them as they will.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I believe people create the gods in their own images. So since the Norse (Scandinavian) people are fair, skinned, with light colored hair and eyes...I picture their gods like that as well.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The norse gods were that.... their gods. They had many many mythical creatures, such as dwarves, elemental beings, immortal animals...
    The gods were not people. They were god like... not human form. So they could be anything.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 12:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Some legends have the mischief-maker Loki as being all black (not afro-american but the color black). Mankind does create gods in his own image. If you're a blonde, light-skinned race, that's what your gods will be, too. I think it is really stretching to take offense at a fantasy comic, but then look at the fit christians had over the Smurfs in the 80's! And the Teletubbies in the 90's.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm willing to bet that the Australian Maoris, the Polynesians, the Incas, the Sioux, etc. etc. pretty much imagined the gods in their mythologies as looking just a little bit like the people they saw all around them - namely, themselves !

I expect that having a black actor play Thor isn't "historically" (? does that term even apply here?? ) accurate. But fact is that America is so blended now that audiences are looking more at the demeanor, the bearing and the power of the actor than at his genetic heritage. Nowadays I see black, hispanic and asian actors and don't notice their race unless it is highlighted as part of the role they are carrying.

From the photo in the article, he looks like he could portray the role of a powerful yet restrained god. That's the main issue when seeking an actor for a role.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• ... and I AM "right" ... and I did not feel targetted by the article at all.

Just as I am sure a liberal feels isolated from someone who CALLS himself a liberal and praises the Soviet Union & works to get the same gov't system installed in America,

I feel no kinship with folks who CALL themselves Conservative and yet practice collectivism. Conservatives - bona fide Conservatives - respect individuals first and foremost. We do not identify people as members of this or that group. For the sake of discussion we do talk about what a group of people THINKS, but that's separate from who they ARE.
    So to fit the mind-set of Conservative, you choose individualism.
    That's the opposite of collectivism ... in ANY of collectivism's guises:
    the socialist "for the greater good",
    the political demagogue's "us vs. them" in the form of rich vs. poor, minorities vs. whites, labor vs. capitalism
    AND the racist.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I expect that having a black actor play Thor isn't "historically" (? does that term even apply here?? ) accurate.

No, it's not really relevant, which is what makes it all that funnier. Thor the comic book superhero has pretty much NOTHING to do with Thor the god, aside from sharing a name and a few traits. Thor the god didn't go around beating up bad guys in tights. The Norse gods are, in most ways, no different than men.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010