my baby is so restless at night. help please :(

my son is 4 months old. he was such a good sleeper. i didnt make his routine, he made his own routine. since he was about 3-4 weeks, he used to sleep through the night. i used to wake him up to change his diaper and feed him, but he didn't like feeding at that time. used to start coughing and make those gagging sounds as if he's about to throw up if i forced a nipple in his mouth. so i gave up and stopped trying to feed him during night.

so now at 4 months he's so restless at night. tossing and turning making those moaning sounds as if he's having a bad dream (haha i know thats not possible) or he's in pain. his crib is in our room so im up even by the slightest noise he makes. he just started doing this since past 5 days. at first i thought he needed the pacifier. but then it starts again after 10 mins and the pacifier is still in this mouth. its not gas either because he's not farting. also his eyes are closed so apparently he's sleeping.
and yes i tried feeding him, thinking he might be hungry.. but he doesnt like feeding at night. funny thing is he's totally normal in the morning. welcomes me with a smile and plays during the day as if everything is normal. his daytime naps are also fine (very peacefully sleeping infact)...
what is the problem then ??? im getting so worried. ive hardly slept in past 5 days. im up all either night rocking him in my arms or checking up on him. nothing helps !! please help me :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it possible that you or your husband snore? You might not notice it, but it could keep your little one from sleeping deeply.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You could try putting a lavender sachet near him, or use some lavender oil in a diffuser. That helped my boy when he was a baby. I also tried sleeping with his crib sheet for a couple of days before putting it on the matress so that it would smell like me, and that seemed to help too.

Good luck!
    vbiggs81

Answer by vbiggs81 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• How do you know it's not possible for a baby this young to be dreaming? Because they do --long before they're born.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Babies go thru spells like this. You may be surprised to know that they do have bad dreams at this age. Also, it may be a growth spurt. As long as he is eating fine and in a good mood with no other symptoms, I would say it's a growth spurt and it should pass in a couple days.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Swaddle him nice and good.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• he is still really young have you tried swaddling him my 6 month old did that even tried putting her in bed w/me but then i wrapped her hospital style and she was good to go.
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My ds has had bad dreams when he was little. He still gets them occasionally and he's 3 1/2.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• maybe he his dreaming
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010