Spin off from my other question. Seriously, why is being gay considered a sin? Because the bible tells us so?

No bashing. I'm trying to sort this shit out in my head and trying to see both sides.

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Exactly I guess someone where in the bible it says it's a sin. But it also says it's okay to rock people for certain sins but you don't see people listening to that. People pick and choose what they want to listen and follow in the bible.
    Who cares what the bible says the people aren't bothering you or making your life hell.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• So what else shouldn't we do?
    Don't let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)
    Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)
    Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)
    Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed. (Leviticus 20:9)
    If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)
    People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)
    If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die. (Leviticus 20:10).
    If anyone, even your own family suggests worshipping another God, kill them. (Deuteronomy 13:6-10)
    If you find out a city worships a different god, destroy the city and kill all of it's inhabitants... even the animals. (Deuteronomy 13:12-15)
    Kill anyone with a different religion. (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Funny thing is, there are many of us who don't believe the Bible is actually talking about homosexual relationships, but instead pedophilia, ritual sex, and male prostitution; or that Levitical law is talking about sin, but instead ritual purity and things of that nature. We have to remember that it is a translated book. Like anything that's translated, its going to have parts that don't fully represent what they originally meant.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yeah, pretty much. Although it doesn't really say that in its original form, it's through time and poor translations. But what I have found out is that the people who think this way have also picked and chosen what in the bible they have chosen to follow and left all the rest to not follow.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:22 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Pretty much. And craftingmama is right, it didn't say that in it's original greek and hebrew forms. Rather the term being mistranslated actually referred to male prostitutes that engaged in sex rituals at the Pagan temples. It was a quite common "profession" in the middle east during those times. The term "homosexual" didn't even come about until the 19th century so it is impossible for it to be found in the Bible.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't think that being gay is a sin and it looks like quite a few others don't either. For those of you that do though, let me ask you this (and it's an honest question, I really want to know) do you do EVERYTHING the Bible says?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:47 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• God made it so marriage should be between a man and a woman so we can replenish the earth. Marriage is sacred and should only be how god intended. That's what I was always taught. We may not fully understand all his reasons but we will be taught everything after the second coming :) Answer by Heidikan  Marriage ISN'T a christian concept.  It's a human one.  There are primitive tribes around the world that have never heard of god, but they have some form of marriage in their society.  We have a genetic need to pair up and take care of each other.  It hurts me that my gay friends can't have the rights and security of marriage because christians can't get that holier than thou cross out of their butts.  God created gay people.  It's his job to deal with them.  NOT YOURS!!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Pretty much. Which is why I don't believe anything that book says. If it was a sin, well..lots of people are going to hell and having a great big party. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Where? Where in the bible is there any reference at all to homosexuality? Because, just like abortion and computers, it's just not in there.

People don't like things that are much different from how it was when they were 4. And, for the rest of their lives when they are stressed out or feeling insecure, they'll reach for the feeling of security they remember from when they were 4 --an age noted for its xenophobia (fear of strangers) and deep need to belong to a distinct, easy to identify 'tribe.'

So, for the same reason people are bigots about really very superficial aspects of strangers, they discriminate against people who love differently (or the way they really actually want to, but don't feel free to) as an expression of their desire to find security in an uncertain world. It's incredibly immature, but exactly the kind of deep neediness that serves the bureaucracy of the church, especially the highly-controlling ones.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:32 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

Answer by mommy_of_two388

Agreed!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:25 AM on Dec. 23, 2010