When do you know about having twins and if you are is there any differance in being sick or hurting?

Beccah2

Asked by Beccah2 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• twins are found by ultrasound or by hearing 2 separate heart beats on the doppler then an ultrasound to confirm.
    Anonymous

• In addition to the above answer, if there is a history of multiples in your family or SO's family, let your doc know. When pregnant with multiples, I've heard that the morning sickness can be even more severe than the typical m/s. But then again, everyone is different because even if you're pregnant with one, you can have it very severe (heck, I was almost hospitalized because of it). lol

So if there isn't any history of multiples on either side, yes, it's still possible to have them but most likely, unless the doc sees a reason for an u/s to check for them, I think they would just wait until the u/s when you can hear the heartbeat (around 8-12 wks..sometimes more though). But again, if there are some in your history, some might take the precaution and will send you for an u/s early to check. =)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Hee hee. I knew when I got pregnant I was having twins. When I went into my 1st appointment at 5 weeks my uterus was normal sized. When I went back at 9 weeks, my midwife said I was a little tall so her and I ran into the sonogram room and took a look.....All we saw was one baby and then with a little flick of her wrist the other one appeared on the screen. We both screamed "Oh my god!" It was pretty exciting!!
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Oh to answer the other part of your question...I wasn't any sicker with the twins then I was with any pregnancy. I had a hard time eating anything with all of them.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• In the beginning (before we knew), I felt much more sick and tired than I did with my singleton. I thought that it was just because I was chasing a 2 year old. We found out at our ultrasound at 10 weeks that we are expecting twins. I agree with the "if there is a history of twins, its more likely for you to have twins..." comment. My MIL is a fraternal twin. We are having identical twins so I dont get to blame it on her...
    ihartjelli

Answer by ihartjelli at 10:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008