Moisturizer or Lotion?

Seriously Moisturizer or Lotion or Body Butter. . . which is it? which one do you use and why? What is the difference really?

Kirs

Asked by Kirs at 11:29 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I'd say 'get better body butter' --a product with high shea butter content will absorb quickly and leave no residue. The cheap stuff is filled with gunge --conditioners, emulsifiers, preservatives, cheap ingredients made as cheaply as possible, which often mean adding more of something else to stop bad things from happening (separation, being able to smell the gross ingredients, etc.)

Try the cosmetic counter lines --they're a lot more expensive (3 to 5 times the price) than drugstore brands, but they are made with better ingredients and you can use a whole lot less with much nicer effect.

If you're seriously allergic to a lot of things, you may like to try brands like Arbonne or Melaleuca, because they actively avoid a lot of common allergens and problematic ingredients (like parabens and whale oil).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:56 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I use oil of olay on my face. I think the other stuff is heavier and would clog your pores if you use them on your face.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:35 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Thin lotion
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I use Aveeno lotion. I have tried most everything. I always come back to this. Body Butter is a heavy moisturizer. It's usually a whipped mousse like texture, or butter.. that's how it gets that name. Lotion is also a moisturizer. But there are levels of moisturizing that lotions contain. It's hard to explain. I just know that when I buy the stuff from say Bath and Body, it contains perfumes that don't agree with my skin. My skin tends to become dry and even itchy. Aveeno is perfect for me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• my skin is very sensitive to fragrance. . . I use many different moisturizers and tend to stay away from those that say lotion. . . for some reason they just don't do any good for me and leave me itchy and dry. . . body butters don't seem to really soak in and leave me feeling sticky and a bit greasy. . .
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I use moisturizer on my face. Lotion elsewhere.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• moisturizer cause my skin gets sooo dry...lotion just doesnt cut it and body butters always smell too strong.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I use everything! I have a 23-year-old daughter who has just about every kind of moisturizers and lotions. I use whatever I grab. Fortunately, my skin is receptive to any one of the things you mention.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I use Jordan Essentials Unscented Shea Body Butter everywhere including my face. It's all natural. No mineral oil. Only plant oils. No parabens, No isopropyl alcohol. It's made in the USA. I'd be happy to send you a sample.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I have atopic dermatitis and I use all of them at different times. All that you listed are moisturises. Lotion is a thin liquid that is easily absorbed into the skin. Often it leaves little residue and works well for quick skin pick me ups. Body butter is a thick paste or cream that absorbs well but will leave a protective film on the surface of the skin sealing in the moisture. Ointments are thicker, almost solid and are very good for moisturizing dry skin. They can be a bit greasy.

I tend to use ointments like Eucerin Aquaphor for really dry patches. It's heavier and does leave a little residue until it's absorbed in and does form a protective barrier. But Eucerin has little to no fragrance so you might to check the brand out.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:56 AM on Dec. 24, 2010