Is this mean...............for a barely 5 yrs. old....

Not that I will change anything, just asking but, My LO loves to help, he loves to fold wash clothes and little towels most but since he is 5 now AND I am really tired of grown kids that learned wayy too late on too many things,-I started making LO also hang up/fold alot o fhis own clothes each time, he is good at it and usually wants to do it but not always ( and ofcourse when tired or whatever I dont have him do this)-, Last night I had him go through all socks, make 3 piles, 1 for each of us then mate them up, he wanted to stop but I tod him to finish up first, well that lasted till near end then he snuck off to another room to hang with my 20 yr. old.-I finished it cause he did alot for a LO, but I had him come back long enough to put his own in a drawer.

kingkongsmom

Asked by kingkongsmom at 11:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 4 year old puts his own clothes away... He started when he was almost 4, he'll be 5 in april. I hang the ones that need to be hung because he's unable to do that so far.... I don't make him fold it yet, it just goes in the drawers. He earns "good" beads in his behavior jar for doing his chore without a fuss.

That and cleaning up his own toys are his only chores so far.

I think that it's far from mean and it's a great way to introduce them to household duties. A great way to take one minor thing off your list of a million daily duties. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I dont think thats mean children need to learn responsiblities and how to be self sufficeint in life. It doesnt hurt to have him help you or atleast put his own clothes up after they have been folded. I started giving my son who is now 9 chores when he reached 5 just little things like feed the dog put his clothes away. I believe its good for them.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• He is a little young to have big chores, but pairing socks and putting away his clothes is fine. He is learning responsibility for his own things. Just make sure you're doing it for him and not yourself, know what I mean?
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Nothing wrong with what you are doing at all, I just started the same with my 9 year old (wish I would have started sooner). There is nothing wrong with them being responsible for their own things. Just because we are the parents doesn't mean we have to do EVERYTHING!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I usually fold the clothes because I'm anal about how things are folded, but each of the kids are responsible for putting them away. DS1 (7) gets his and puts them where they go (and he's learning how to fold)- while I guide DS2 and DS3 to show them how to put their clothes away (they are almost 3, and 1.5). All of them know where to put dirty laundry so that it gets washed - which can be a curse b/c the littlest ones like to take the clean clothes that I just folded and throw them in with the dirty stuff. They also put their toys away, pick up any messes that have been made, and help feed the dogs. They know where dishes go (dirty and clean) they help unload the dishwasher, and they help put trash in the trashcan. It helps the household run smoothly, and keeps mom sane b/c I don't have to do EVERYTHING.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My only recommendation would be to set up some sort of a rewards system for him. Just a way for you to show him you see how great he's doing with his chore, and to reward him for good behavior. ( if you don't already have one)

Sticker, or a jar that you put beads/stones into when he completes the task. Give him a small prize of some sort like a free pass, no chores today type of thing he can use, or a toy from all a dollar? We give our son a quarter for each bead... He usually saves his moneys we give him weekly for a few weeks and has us take him to toys r us and we let him get a toy.

: ) Good luck you're doing great
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Oh ignore LindaClement and her always cynical responses to questions. All of her careless, unthoughtful, mostly negative, responses are very showing of her character. I pity her.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I started having my kids help put away their own clothes when they were 3. I did like you and separated them, but they had to put them in the drawers themselves. By the time they were 5 they had little chore charts. Some things I have to re-do, but everything was always age appropriate and easy, like emptying the bathroom trash cans, dusting small areas, etc. They live in our home, they can make small contributions around the house.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My 5 year old folds towels, helps with the trash, puts away his own clothes, cleans his room, and vacuums it. I don't thing it's mean at all. Neither does he.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010