how do u deal with people that like to critsize ur parenting?

kelly87

Asked by kelly87 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• Oh - are you talking about my brother and my mom? I ignore them because if I don't, I'll explode!

I have a different philosophy about raising my son and I don't believe in physical punishment or negativity and he can join in our "adult" conversation any time. My mom is always telling him to say excuse me before he interrupts a conversation but she always interrupts when he is talking so - what does she know?

I turn into a lion(ess) when it comes to my son so, better to control myself and ignore it.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 8:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Tell people thanks so much for their advice, then move on. If you do not agree with them, just forget about it. If however they have a point, take it into consideration and be glad you learned something and reevaluated your parenting style.
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 8:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Hellooooooo! My mother!! AND, unfortunately, my two kids and I live with her. I try so hard to keep the peace because we have nowhere else to go right now, but sometimes I swear I just can't stand it. Tonight, my DS had a temper tantrum (he's 5). Screamed at the top of his lungs for a while. My mom wanted to beat the $#!# out of him and I simply told her I'd take care of it. She got pissy and dramatic and told me I told her to butt out??!!! Then, after I got my DS to calm down, I told him to appoligize to her. He asked for her "forgiveness" and she not only told him "NO" but that she felt like (direct quote) "I want to put my hands around your neck and choke you". My son is now totally freaked out and scared because Nani wants to kill him, I told her how wrong and messed up it was and appologized to my son for sending him in there. How do I deal? I pray, really hard!!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 8:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Everyone thinks they are an expert...in my case I can actually say I am. I am piediatric pyschotherapist. That doesn't mean I'm perfect. I do however have a lot of parenting tricks in my parent tool box. But if someone from my son's school or someone else ever challenged me and even hinted at poor parenting I'll go toe to toe with them - and win. Oh, and my son is always the most well behaived child in any group that he is in. But I am often scoffed at for not believing in spanking and a whole host of other hippy/crunchy ways. Yeah, they scoff but how come their children are the ones who throw wild tantrums and continue with a poor choice even after a spanking?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Depends on how its given if someone makes a kind suggestion than I say ok thanks. But if its done in a rude way well I am rude right back. Thankfully only happened once another mom @ my childs school thought she would tell me how to discipline my daughter after my DD told her son to quit freaking out and being a cry baby, wrong I know but in her defense he threw a fit everymorning when his mom brought him to school for the entire year. My response to her "advice" was wow I must be really losing it because I don't even remember asking for your opinion.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 10:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• If they are just griping at me,I'd just tell them I don't agree...I like how I do things for my own reasons, I don't owe explanations. most people don't tell me to my face, I don't mind telling them to hit the road if they don't shut it. I won't go see my inlaws b/c my step mil went all bossy on me about my kids once. My hubby froze and refused to get involved...later I left him w/the kids and was gone a week, I told him she can help him raise them. his family doesn't normally speak to us except on holidays... so now I won't put up with an ounce of it. He knows it too. I'd just say'oh, uh huh" if they were being nice and not hateful. not really worth arguing about it.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 10:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I just ignore them. Moms online here rip me all the time about how I parent because I'm not mainstream. I actually got called a crunchy mom a few months ago. What's funny is most of the people telling me I am doing everything wrong has only been parenting for a few years whereas I have been doing it for 10 now. I am confident in my decisions and research them first and just let everyone else do what they think best too.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Thanks for sharing that you frogdawg!, my son is also easy-going, well behaved and very self-assured. I'm glad to hear it from an expert.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 11:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008