Mother in law complaint...

My mother in law is mad that we do not let her watch our kids from time to time. Of course after she said something my mommas-boy husband said we should think about it... but there is no way she is watching them alone !!!

1. she lives in another town - over 45 minutes away, so for what occasion would we travel 45 mintues for her to babysit ( they will NEVER stay the night there )

2. she is 66 years old and not in the greatest health ( FIL is 72 and has had several mini strokes and is blind in one eye)

3. My husbands niece and nephew ( ages 9 & 10 ) live with them and are horrible acting and mean to my kids ( not to mention FIL is the main babysitter of them )

4. I know she would let them onder through the destroyed house by themselves and let nice and nephew watch them, when in fact I am sure they would purposly try to hurt them ( as they have before)

5. most importanly they watched our 2 year old son before... they were here visiting and our daughter had an allergic reaction, My grandma ( who lives next door) was at the store, so we had to leave him with them while we ran her down to the DRs ...... we come back 30 minutes later and they are in the living room watching baseball ..... my son is sleeping in the closet upstairs ( neice and nephew locked him in there ) !!!!!

So hell f***ing NO they will NEVER watch my kids... and i had to control myself to not tell her off when she even had the nerve to ask to watch the kids !!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Have you gave them this list of reasons? I would. Especially about the closet part. I would never allow my children around them after that
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You need to make sure your husband knows all the things you just said and tell them that you do not believe that your kids are safe there with the other children. Cite specific incidents and tell them that you love them and you trust them (okay, lie if you need to keep peace), but not around the other two kids.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't recommend giving her the list, unless you're into life-looks-like-soap-opera... I mean, if you want a bucket of drama, why not just drop them off there for a week, and wait for the fallout?

Suffice it to say: I prefer to stay with my kids.

When she nags or complains or whatever she's going to do, simply and quietly repeat yourself: "I prefer to stay with my kids."

You'll look (to her) like an overly controlling crazy woman who's determined her kids will never grow up and move on, to which I say: So? So what if this charming and upstanding delight in your life doesn't like you for this reason as well as the rest? So what if she tells all her friends and all your husband's relations that you're a controlling bitch? First, because, who cares what they think, but secondly because if they can see her with any clarity at all, they're more likely thinking 'yeah, catch me letting you watch anyone I cared about!!'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That sound like incompetance I wont let my mom watch daughter at her house eithe just recently let her babysit here because therre werent other alternatives we both had to work, just let her watch visit and this should be enough to please her .
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• stick to your guns momma and while your at it do not allow your momma's boy husband to bully you into it give them the list.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'll never let my husband's 16 year old niece watch our 3 year old again. Came home from work, niece was on the phone while the house was a total disator. Scissors on the floor, curtain rod broke, toys all over. None to pleased. I even talked to her dad about it while her mom was in jail for not paying car tabs.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would let them and your husband know exactly why they are not allowed to keep your children. As far as I'm concerned, your children's safety far outweighs and hurt feelings your inlaws might have.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Here is a good support group for you.  They have lots of experience and insight that might be helpful for you.  Good luck.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• my ex hubby was a mama's boy also here's what i'd say Mom, the khds aren't really a handful for me and I know you'd like to see them more often ,because you love them, but it's not a good time for them to be so far from home what with school and the weather, I am not worried about them, I am more worried about how you would feel after chasing them around all day and taking care of dad.
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• then if she starts remind her of the closet incident
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010