how much milk does a 12 month old need?

ive been trying to give her just 3 cups a day in a 6 oz sippy cup but i think the recommendation is 18-24 ounces, right? she's still getting used to not having her formula every 4 hours, so would it be ok to squeeze 1 more 6 oz cup in her schedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No milk is "needed" at all. I would probably suggest 1-2 sippys of milk a day if you are choosing to use milk (of any kind). Otherwise, water is perfectly acceptable for hydration and thirst.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• A child doesn't "need" cow's milk.
    Anonymous

• 4 liquid measured cups is all she needs. You can supplement her diet with other dairy to get the calcium and D along with vitamin rich veggies

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I've never had to deal with alternative milk until my kids were 2+... but I remember at my first sons 9 mo appointment the doctor said he should be getting no more than 16oz when he assumed we weren't breastfeeding (which we were, so that advice was moot).

I'd do 16oz plus another serving of dairy and eventually scale it back to one cup plus two servings of other dairy. That's what we do with my 5 y/o. Maybe do 4oz cups instead of 6?

And soy. almond and rice milk really are no better than cows. They're worse, nutritionally speaking. I don't think that's what the PP meant. Just that you don't *really* need another kind of milk... you can get everything your child needs without substitute milk, it just happens to be convenient when the real thing isn't available.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• anon...who said anything about cow's milk? thanks for the enlightenment and putting your opinion where it doesnt belong. dont ASSume its cows milk...for all you know i could be giving her soy, almond, whatever milk. jerk
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• 16-24 oz, my pediatrician recommends 16 oz of milk and then another serving of dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc.)

Answer by missanc at 1:13 PM on Dec. 23, 2010