How can my hubby and I compromise about what baby eats?

We have a 10 month old daughter. She has 10 teeth. Hubby gives her things I dont think shes ready for(i.e. cheedar rice chex mix).He gives it to her and I'm on edge! I say I dont think shes ready and he says he thinks she is.
Someone please help!

jahair89

Asked by jahair89 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• SHE'S GOT TEETH.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Kids are much more resiliant than you think. My daughter is 18 months and only has her front four teeth. she eats everything including pretzels and chips. The rice mix is likely to disolve and not be a problem. I'd say, if you are concerned, try just one peice and see if she can chew etc. If she does fine, then let it be.
    Anonymous

• So what do YOU give her to eat? Like PP said, she has teeth. And I'm not saying give her huge pieces of food. Things like rice, dry cereal, and small pieces of cheese are fine IMO. As long as one of you are there monitoring her eating and serving her small pieces of things, then she should be fine. If you're really on edge, talk to her doctor...
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 8:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't so much be concerned about the possibility of choking as I would be about the quality of the food he's feeding her. Small pieces of table food are fine, but cheddar cheese rice chex mix is full of MSG and sodium and all kinds of crap that is really not good for an adult, let alone a baby. (MSG is directly linked to the obesity epidemic...its in tons of processed foods) If she gets used to eating low quality foods now, you might have a hard time getting her to like the healthy stuff later. If you want to feed her cereal, why not something like Cheerios that doesn't have a bunch of additives? And try giving her soft pieces of cooked veggies or fruits.
    Anonymous

• My husband and I fought CONSTANTLY about what to feed our daughter. Finally, I made him come with me to the pediatrician's and we set up a food chart with our doctor. Basically, the doctor told us how much of each food group, what size servings, and examples of quality foods to give her, and spouse and I typed up a food list. For new foods, we finally agreed to consult one another about all new foods before giving them to her, and I made the final decision (which he didn't always like). For us, choking wasn't so much a concern as was/is the allergy factor. My family is prone to allergies, so we only introduced one new thing a day in case an allergy popped up.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I agree. She's not going to choke, but I'd be worried about the MSG, salt and other processed additives.
    Cheerios, animal crackers, etc. are better choices.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• In my experience, babies can choke on anything and should always be supervised when eating. If he knows what to do in case she does start choking, he's fine to give her things that you might think are a little too big as they usually aren't. However, I'd stick to healthy foods, and maybe only give baby-sized snacks (like DH did for our daughter when he gave her a teaspoon of ice cream mixed with breast milk so she'd have milk shakes for dessert like her parents).
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2008