Melatonin

My 4 y/o was not sleeping well at night, and my pediatrician said to give her melatonin. She sleeps with us now, do you think it's right to give a child this age medication to sleep?

elasmimi

Asked by elasmimi at 12:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My PED recommended it for our son this past well check at 3 years old.. we tried it for 8 days and that's all I could take - the only plus to it is that it helped put him to sleep better and faster.. he still woke 3 times a night but each time wide awake so when he woke up in the AM he was soo crabby because he had to put himself back to sleep so much.. he also had bad dreams and tossed and turned a lot.. I finally gave up - we do give him a homeopathic supplement which seems to help though -Serenite Jr.. you still have to monitor how long before bed you give it to him before bed or it can have the opposite affect but.. i think this would be a battle I will have to face with him forever
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's not really medication like a sleeping pill is. But I know that I get HORRIBLE, VIVID nightmares if I take it. Just watch out that your child doesn't as well.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My DS,11,has taken it off and on since he was 4. He only takes it when he can't get to sleep for awhile and it resets his clock. He has never had any problems with it. What is also good is that they do not get that hangover effect from it. Whether they sleep for an hour or all night they will wake up just fine.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i gives me bad dreams sometimes too
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010