Has anybody ever done this before?

A friend and relative through marriage just spoke to me for the first time in a few years (fairly close). I made the bonehead mistake of forgetting how old her daughter was, by 3 years! I apologized for the gaffe. Now how many of you have done the same thing? I know how intelligent I am, yet I do/say some of the most retarded things. Why the occasional social awkwardness, and why if I am not constantly involved in someones life, I start to forget the little things?

OR MAYBE I OUGHT TO THINK BEFORE I OPEN MY MOUTH.....THAT'S SOMETHING I KEEP TELLING MY KIDS.....

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

cerealmom2

Asked by cerealmom2 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• If you don't speak to her all the time how can u be expected to remember details about her life, even if they seem like they should be important details? Don't beat yourself up over it!
    Platinum_Mommy

Answer by Platinum_Mommy at 1:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i've done it before. but if u havent seen or talked to them in awhile, its easy just to think of how old they were last time you talked and not add on the years. theres nothing to do but ask for forgiveness
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 12:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No but I did have some silly woman ask me how old I thought she was and I sincerely answered her. Turns out I said she looked 12 yrs OLDER than she is! I was so embarrassed!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I do the same thing.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Life fills your brain with so much stuff that it crowds out little details. Just apologize and keep a calendar or notebook handy. I would forget my own child's age without mine! Iol
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have a hard time tracking the age of other people's children --unless I know how close they are to mine kids' ages. I suppose it's partly because I don't find 'how old are you' to be a terrifically important question... or answer.

The number of times someone's gone around the sun is probably the least interesting thing about them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, it's happened to me. If you don't see them for awhile, then the kid stayed the same age as when you last saw them, right? My bigger problem is remembering peoples names. I meet so many people, and when I do, I know I should do some little trick to remember their name, like repeating it, but many times I never see that person again, but then if I run into them again somewhere, I can't remember their name. A local politician told me a trick she used. When she saw someone, before they could say anything, she would say, You might not remember me, I'm Joan Berry. Usually they will say their name, if they didn't she would say, I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name. If they said Sue...before they could get out the last name, she would say "Oh, I know it's Sue, I just couldn't remember your last name." Pretty tricky, huh!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I've done it before; it happens.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010