What's more important...

The calendar DATE...or the day you gather with family, etc.?

I just don't understand why many people get all up in arms about certain dates on the calendar (like, say, December 25).

Tonight, me and mine are going over to my folks house for Prime Rib and Presents and fa-la-la-la-la, etc. Friday and Saturday (Dec. 24 and 25) I'm scheduled to work. And much like that third Thursday in November, I know almost ever customer who comes in to by fuel and/or beer and/or snacks (I work at a C-store) on those days will be lamenting the fact that *I* have to work, and poor me, blah, blah, blah.

Well, my *religious* holiday was Tuesday (my coat still smells of the Yule fire) and tonight we're doing the presents and such...and time and 1/2 always looks good on my paycheck...

I don't understand why people get so caught up on calendar dates?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• agreed :)

We had our "christmas" last weekend, had family in town, visited. It was nice. Saturday I have to take my dd to the airport, and we aren't celebrating anything else.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i agree with you. when my husband was in the military it made me realize that the actual calendar date did not matter but when the family can get together to share time ..... that was more important
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The date that family get together matters more then certain date
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i fhink more on the side of whenever your'e together than the date.
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think it has to do with the traditions of our youth, as well as what religious or secular holiday the person celebrates. We all view things from our own cultural and social perspective.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Oh definitely the days I get to spend with family and friends. Dec 25th just happens to be the date that most of them have off. Though this year I'mpretty sure the only reason hubby gets it off is because it lands on a Saturday. If it were on a Thursday or friday he would be working.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The day I gather my family is important than the date. Family should gather at anytime of the year, but especially at Christmas time. Happy Holidays!
    proudmomof5kids

Answer by proudmomof5kids at 12:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's an interesting question, isn't it?

I have the hardest time thinking seriously about the arbitrary (and changeable) things written on calendars and clocks --not only because they lack accuracy... they're also cultural and lack context.

The whole idea of On This Day types of celebrations seems to be completely random and nothing more than we've always done this, or something like it, so we do it because it's traditional.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I agree with you on that. We just did our 'Christmas' dinner and presents with my husband's family last night. We'll do Christmas stuff with my family this weekend, although we already had a little gathering the other day to have dinner and to bake and decorate cookies. It doesn't really matter to me if it's on the exact day or not. Some people don't get much time off around this time, so it usually ends up being within a few days of Christmas--either just before or just after.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• it bothered me when i first went to college and couldnt go home for Thanksgiving, but as an adult it really doesnt matter. so long as we get together at some point and time and do the traditional things as a family thats all that matters!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2010