What would you do?

There's a woman on FB that I went to school with. She started IM'ing me when she saw I was on. I tired of her after all she ever taked about was her nasty divorce and how much of an a$$hole her ex is. Any time I tried to steer the conversation to me for even an instant,she reverts back to talking about her divorce.
Now,i know she needs to let off steam and all,but I hardly even remember her from high school,and that was 20 years ago! We never had any contact after graduation. I don't understand why she'd tell this very private stuff to a pretty literal stranger. It makes me very uncomfortable. I tried going "invisible" on there when I see she's on,but then that leaves everyone else I'd want to talk to unable to see I'm on. Lately I've been keeping the conversation very short but she doesn't get a clue. Do I hurt this unstable woman and tell her I don't know what to say to her so maybe we shouldn't IM or what? I don't want to be mean,but this stresses me out!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• Block her, steer her to a CafeMom divorce group (every time she messages you, send only the link to the group), ignore her, keep talking about you and your life and don't even read what she has to say about her nasty divorce. She'll figure it out.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• she might be talking to you since your away from the problem and family is no help. You might be giving her the answers she wants to hear from you and not her family. Just hang in there and I am sure she will back down when things slow down for her. If not then just be honest with her. HOnestly I found is the way to go even if that person does not understand till later on.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Recommend her to CAFEMOM....tell her about the website. That should get her off your hands for a while. Maybe she couls help some other women as well. Send her the link then erase her.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Why not block her. It's not like she is a close friend.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm sure that she probably just needs someone to talk to. I have a friend that is going through a messy divorce right now and I am always getting texts from her that are very repetative, but I always try to respond in a good caring way. We werent necessarily close at first either, but have become very close lately. It's hard to talk to family. Or sometimes even friends when you are going through a tough situation like that. They tend to just tell you to get over it...it's really sad. My advice would be to not shut her out, but just explain that its a little uncomfortable to talk about all the time. Be sure to make it clear that you do care and will be praying for her.good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would just ignore the IM. That's what I do, make her think you're not at your computer
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• just ignore her she will get the hint and move on the next person....she maybe iming you because your the only one who responds.? stop responding and she will stop iming
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i agree jst block her
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• sounds like she could beneft from counseling... she wants to talk to someone have you mentioned that to her maybe a divorce support group
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Tried the ignore thing a few times,but she noticed that i had just updated my status so.....

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010