Hypocritical????

I have been on disability for about 8 years for a medical condition. It has gotten better and feel I can go back to work. My husband says I won't be able to make what I am drawing. He wants me to keep my mouth shut and keep drawing from the government. He always talks about other people doing this with food stamps and welfare when they don't need them. This is the same thing right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes it's the same thing.

You don't have to throw it in his face that it's hypocritical. Just say I'm going to get a doctors approval and if I'm okayed by a doctor to work again then I'm not going to abuse the medical disability.

That's very admirable of you!!!!!!!!
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It is the same thing. If you can work, you should. There could be someone else that needs the money more than you do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think what he wants is wrong. I think if you get an all clear from a doctor that it's okay for you to work. Then go for it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My personal opinion is that , Yes it is the same thing.

I have no opinion in regards to whether it's right, wrong, okay to do, not ok.. etc.. Simply that Yes it's the same and he's being a hypocrit.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, it is the same thing-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, I do believe it's the same thing. And if you feel you can work, I think you should try... Especially if that's what YOU want to do.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Just remember being at home im sure has been hard over the years. while u may be excited to jump back into the work field and be around other people u need to be sure your okay. If someones mind can make them feel pain or sick than im sure in the excitement or just pure boredom a person mind can convince them they are better. Cause once u report to your doc u feel better he will give the ok and u will be taken off of disability. and if u arent fine and get worse again u will have to reapply for disabbility and i know many people who battle that for years. U should do a test run. if a friend or family member has their own buisness intern(for free) or find a volunteer job(church, hospital, and so on) and start a few days a week and work your way up to a full weeks schedule and then see if u continue to feel better. Cleaning & cooking all day 7days a week is a hard job but it truley is different once your out there. GL
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 1:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• mymestey-We have 5 years to work, if our condition gets worse again we can get right back on it. That is without all the red tape.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If it were happening to me, which it isn't being I don't collect disability, I'd have an easier time since I don't get it, although it's still just as competitive to us all, no matter who is looking. I will not be treated any differently than one who is collecting, nor are you going to be looked at as anyone else, just as you are going to the work, field they will face to face deal with you as a new client starting to get employed and probably give you part time work to start as not to overwhelm you.

you will be transitioning and it will be exiting so don't be too rattled at first, my attitude is always to take the first couple of months very gradually and work into a schedule.... that is unless you are just the type that plows right into hours, than go for it....
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Same thing. If you can work, you should.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010