How do I get my Lab to stop shedding a dog sized amount of hair every day???

I am going crazy. I love my dog and know that my fiance does too, but I am a neat freak to the point of being obsessive at times. I am going nuts trying to keep up with this dog and am tired of cleaning the house just to see more hair everywhere. I have a Chihuahua as well and don't want either one of them locked outside since it gets too cold...any advice aside from shaving the poor thing bald???

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Pets

• The furminator brush is awesome you will be amazed by how much hair it actually takes off, if you buy it on amizon you can get it much cheaper than in the pet stores. Also the best food that I have found for shedding is Nutro brand, you might have to go to a pet store to find it. It is more pricey but you actually have to feed less to your pooch. I have a German Shepherd and she sheds terribly but with this combination I have been able to keep up with her. Labs are just one of those heavily shedding dogs.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you didn't want a dog that sheds why did you get a lab? Labs shed, all the time, there isn't anything short of getting rid of the dog that will stop it.
    You can try a furminator brush, google it and see what it's about.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Wow...your lab shed a lot. Have you thought about changing their diet?

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have a Golden Retriever, they shed like crazy too. I just take him outside everyday to brush him. It seems to help. There are shampoos that are supposed to help with shedding. I don't think they really work though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you didn't want a dog that shed so badly why did you pick a lab? Labs are one of the worse shedders. However, something that can help some is a better quality diet(better then IAMS,Eukanuba, Science diet to name few). Another thing is get a good brush like the Furminator. I love that brush I have a 3 dogs and 4 cats. One of the dogs is a lab mix(worst shedder in the bunch). The brush has cut down on the shedding., Getting a good vacuum will help too.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• http://www.furminator.com/?gclid=COOAp5L4gqYCFQRvbAodziZnqA

Just brush your lab every day with this, and you'll see a WORLD of difference, trust me! Labs by nature are big shedders though, so I don't think you'll be able to eliminate the shedding completely. But a daily brushing with this thing will make a difference, you'll be SHOCKED to see how much hair comes off!

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Cut his hair short.

My friend who has a lab cuts his hair short once a month & he doesn't shed at all. But, if you live in super cold climates, this might not be a good idea. She also does it with her retriever mix. They both shed like crazy, but barely at all now that she keeps their hair short.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Brush it daily

Answer by louise2 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• keep brushing? idk but gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• *amazon
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010