Anyone else tired of all the crime?

I swear that it didn't seem this bad a few years ago...or maybe I need to stop watching the news...I am just tired of seeing 50 thousand HORRIBLE crimes on tv every night. I am getting to the point where I am scared to go anywhere for fear that I might get shot in the back like the poor lady who was buckling her child into his car seat and heard random gun shots...the lady laid across her son to protect him and got shot in the back by a stray bullet. The poor woman DIED. What is wrong with people nowadays?????

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It may be worth noticing that they often have to go far afield to deliver a whole news program worth of bad news... sometimes they have to go all the way to China to find the bad news stories.

A friend's son suggested that the reason broadcast news was shocking, depressing and awful was to make viewers feel relieved and therefore much better about the advertiser's products when the commercials come on... I'd agree but I don't think it's quite cynical enough.

News used to be nightly, for an hour. Now there are many 24 hour news channels. They all have to work hard to find something to talk about, and still they repeat themselves on a very short loop, there is so little to discuss...

Mr. Rogers told me to stop watching the news when Mr. Bush announced the Gulf War. Good advice, that is. Strangely, I tend to know at least as much about 'what's happening' as anyone else, AND I don't have those disturbing images in my head...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• There's not more crime, there's more news broadcast time that needs to be filled.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm sick of it too. I wish we lived in the days of the Andy Griffith show was based on.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I try not to watch the news for this reason. I go online to check the weather, thats all I want to know.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not enough funds to keep enough police out there to protect the people. Congress thinks they deserve a big fat pay check more then the America people deserve protection. Cost in each state keeps getting cut more and more and more police are getting laid off
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yep. Very tired of it. It's tragic how many horrible things go on in this world. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• There was crime during the good old days of the 1950's and 1960's but it was not drug related like it is now. Justice was not prolonged by liberal lawyers and communities elected conservative judges. Law enforcement was local and everyone new the law by their first name. They respected the citizenry and had their full cooperation. Decentralizing government always brings respect and accountability. The lesson here is smaller government with local control over cities and townships to shrink the crime and empower the residents.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:36 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It seems like we're always hearing about horrible crimes on the news, but crime here in Las Vegas has actually gone down quite a bit. I hope that trend continues.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's simple....Tragedies get ratings (or sell newspapers/magazines). People are more likely to "tune in" to hear/read about tragic events than happy "feel good" stories.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010