How do I get my 18mth old to take naps in his crib?

We just started putting my son in his room to sleep and he is doing so good at bedtime, but naps are shorter and he just cries and cries. I feel bad so I end up going to get him and I think I may be confusing him. If I take a nap with him he naps for 2 hours but on his own he only naps for 30 mins at a time. ANY helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

mandab05

Asked by mandab05 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• u need to put him there and leave him be. if he cries, so be it. no baby has ever died from crying. by going in and taking him out your training him to know that when he cries you'll give in and get him. it'll take a while and it'll be frustrating, but if you don't do it now, you'll regret it when hes older! good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Do whatever routine you have at bedtime and cuddle until he gets drowsy. Put him down and let him self soothe. He has learned that if he cries enough you will go in.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Thank you both. But if nap time is 2hours i let him cry for the entire time? what if hes in there for 2 hours crying.
    mandab05

Comment by mandab05 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think you are right when you say you might be confusing him. You might need to tough it out for a day or two so he knows there is a new expectation of him. I know how difficult this might be. But spend the time to comfort him and to get him relaxed & drowsy. You could try going in after maybe 15-20 minutes and not pick him up, but comfort him. The little guy I sit for will let me soothe him without picking him up. He rarely needs me to go in, but when I do I bend over the crib railing, cuddle him, and he finally will lay down and let me pat his back. Then he is off to sleep. I wish you all the best with this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• then hes in there for two hours...it won't hurt him, it will teach him its nap time, all you are doing is teaching him how to play you like a fiddle! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2010