Do you have horses?

How expensive are they to feed per month and is it a ton of work?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Pets

• As far as feeding, at my mom's house she uses round bales (you know the HUGE circular ones) and they're anywhere from $20-$40 a bale. That will last for about a week or so (she has 2 horses). The square bales are usually about $3-$6 depending on how hay was that year, and horses will go through one of those daily. Then they usually eat oats/pellets to get other nutrients in them. Not sure how much a bag of those goes for. You have to give them water every couple days depending on the size of your trough. Then you have to get their hooves trimmed, teeth ground down, worming medicine, etc. All that adds up. They're not super expensive, but when you add it all up it isn't exactly cheap either.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My Husband had horses His whole Life until He went into the Military..He said it's really hard to say, as it depends on how much your horse eats, how much you need to clean up after them, how much you use them (riding, etc) cause you need grain if you use them a lot. There is a lot that goes into it and they can cost a lot. You also need lots of room for them.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• my cousin has 2 and they are very expensive and a lot of work too
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, they are a lot of work. Worth it if you enjoy them, and don't mind getting dirty.

How much depends on the size of the animal, whether or not you have land for them to graze, if they are boarded, and changes with the seasons as different types of feed fluctuate in price. There are many feed options, and it also depends on the dietary needs of that animal.

I wish I had the space to keep horses, I would never have a use for the internet if I did!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Try leasing one first...it will give you a taste of what it is like without the commitment. They are VERY hard to sell, especially in this economy, and you don't want that burden in the event that you decide it isn't for you.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• For me it is 1 bale of hay a day at $6, one bag of grain 2 weeks at $20, bedding in the stalls, payment for poop removal, farrier bills every 4-6 weeks and vet bills at the minimum a yearly check up.

If you are boarding at a barn you will have farrier bills and vet bills as well as a bill for apporx. $600 and up a month in my area. You will also have the expense of gas to get to and from the barn each day, which is a factor these days.

It is much less work when you board than have them on your own property, but either way it still takes a lot of time.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My sil has alot of horses. I'm not sure about the money, I think they are alot of work though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Don't forget the cost of vets and farriers. We board ours and they have to be wormed every 6-8 weeks.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not anymore. They are a great responsability. There is more to it than food and riding. Vet bills and farriers aren't free and that's the tip of the iceberg.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 12:51 AM on Dec. 24, 2010