Young Talent?

So for the past year I've had a lot of people (family, friends, and strangers) tell me that I NEED to put my daughter (3 1/2) in a talent program. She loves to "perform" when she is in the mood. When she was 2 1/2 we went on a plane from NY to Virginia and the entire time she is walking up and down the aisles singing to the other passengers (luckily they all joined in her singing and truly enjoyed it). Whenever someone comes over she HAS to sing to them. And she has a list of songs that are a must: "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars, "She's" by Ryan Cabrera, and "Summer Nights" from Grease are among her favorites. She also dances (very dramatically depending on the song). She also loves to tell stories and performs them as she tells them. She doesn't get shy (again, she just has to be in the mood) but once you get her started she could perform for hours doing songs, dancing, and story telling!

Now we live in NYC so you would THINK it would be a piece of cake finding a place but I am seriously having the hardest time. All I keep coming up with are talent agencies and I wouldn't know how to go about going to them which is why I figured a talent program would be best. I am totally lost but I really want to pursue this and encourage my daughter since she absolutely loves it.

Anyone have any advice? Experience? Comment? I'll take anything! lol

Ariahsmom

Asked by Ariahsmom at 1:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Leave her be. If she still loves it this much when she's 13, she can perform then. At this age, she has no idea what's involved in investing in that life --and neither do you, so you're both much more likely to be swindled than have anything like a wonderful experience.

The problem with using kids' talents this young (quite apart from the moral dilemma about child labour) is that it is very, very difficult for it to be proportional... they'll get sunk in a lot further than they care about it, or not be able to tell anyone (because of the overwhelming power of expectations, or parent's hopes and dreams) that they're done or don't want to today or need a break or actually just like the performance itself not actually performing...

Kids this young can't separate themselves (their self-esteem, who they think they are) from what they do... which can crush them utterly when they're older and no longer Spectacular, but just normal.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Maybe take part in some talent shows if you can find them, but let her be a kid. You have plenty of time to do your research to find the best venues to let her talent flourish. I would encourge her to perform when she gets to school and possibly major in performing arts in college. Her likes and dislikes might chnage over time which is perfectly normal.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Thanks for the response. Of course it would not be something I would "push" on her like that. I was interested in putting her into a program now (just like she is in dance class now) and if she doesn't like it then she doesn't have to stay. I would never force her to do something she didn't want to do. But I know what you mean. Thanks! :)
    Ariahsmom

Comment by Ariahsmom (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010