Bill Maher Wishes Merry Christmas ...

I normally don't pay attention to political commentators, but reading the other story about whiners complaining about Thor, I ran across this little ditty ...

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/41848/bill-maher-wishes-merry-christmas-to-oprah-and-her-greedy-minions/

I actually found myself agreeing with much of what he said. 

Your thoughts? 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 1:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• That was friggin hilariouis! Oh he is soooo right. America, the MAJORITY of AMericans do indeed worship greed. We watch shows about "Real housewives", wish for extravagent gifts like Oprah gave a way....pine for diamonds, cars, the latest, greatest..blah blah blah. It's ALL of us really.
    If it weren't, then those shows and things wouldn't be on for us to watch. Those commercials wouldn't be on b/c they WORK! People want, want, want...more more more.
    We idolize the glitz and glamour.
    It's pretty gross....and sad:(
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Well, I agree with the article - it's pretty hypocritical for him, and his bank acct, to snub his nose at people getting excited over free stuff that he would throw away without giving it a second thought (I'm sure if they were handing out Ferrari's with a new playmate in the passenger seat he'd be a little more understanding). That said, I've always believed the only reason Oprah gives all that away is because she has to justify the money she charges the people who make the products to get that coveted spot on the show, and the only way to make the audience pretend to care about a bunch of plastic crap is give them free plastic crap. She's getting paid a lot more by the people who make all those things than it's costing her corporate production fund to buy a few to hand out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I find it really funny that anyone in any European country would call us greedy, when they think their system is about to collapse from overuse of entitlements.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I agree with NP- I have a hard time with celebrities telling me I have my head up my butt when it comes to money, materialism and greed! I feel the same way about Al Gore and his whole global warming, you are killing the Earth thing. I understand both concepts and can even agree to a certain extent- I just have a hard time with the messenger!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• clappingHe's right!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I agree!!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Hell has frozen over ... for the first time ever, I agree with Bill Mahr.

This Christmas we don't get a tree, we don't get gifts. Our friends and family have helped us pay our bills and stay in our home since my husband lost his job. Our children are young, and while they have asking about gifts this year, we have told them that this year we will be making some new Christmas traditions that are about the true meaning of Christmas.

Materialism is definitely an idol for Americans. Over the past several years, our family has been given a gracious opportunity to stop bowing down and be grateful for what we have. Learning how to live poor  simple is not a bad thing.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• entitlements

Desire for "entitlements" that you aren't really entitled too is driven by greed. Anyone can slap the term "entitlement" on to a type of government spending. That doesn't mean that we are actually entitled to them. What if instead of "entitlement" we called them "privileges" or "benefits," they would take on an entirely new meaning.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Hell has frozen over ... for the first time ever, I agree with Bill Mahr.--

me, too!! proof that there IS A DOG!! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I am not a Bill Maher fan in any way. However, I must give credit where credit is due. He has definitely nailed this one. It is so very sad how Greed has replaced God, especially at Christmastime. Parts of that clip are so disgusting. Greed is a lot of the reason why we are in the economic quagmire we find our country in now and our leaders--Congress, so-called religious leaders, and well-recognized academics have shown us the way.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 1:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010