dog owners: what breed of dog works best for your family?

in just a few short months, our family of 5 will be moving into a house. we're excited, we've been wasting money for 2 years on apartment rent and this house is a rent to own, my parents being the homeowners :)

my dad has already told me he's not fencing the yard in, he thinks it will "alienate" our backyard neighbors.. which i disagree with, considering we have the front of the house and side by side neighbors but okay! its not "our" house yet.. and my husband and i really wanted to get a german shepherd. but now knowing we won't be able to unleash him in a fenced backyard, we're probably going to have to re-consider. i realize all dogs need to run, but with 3 kids taking up most of the space we'll have to get a small to medium breed dog. there's plenty of side-walks around the neighborhood for us to take him on walks, and he can play in the yard when the kids do.

the kids are young.. 4, 2, and 11 months. we'll probably wait til the oldest is 5, and the others will be almost 3 and almost 2. my parents have a dachsund, he's a great dog, he was so easy to train. but my preference is not small dogs :( i want atleast a medium size.

australian shepherds don't get massive.. so maybe we will consider one of those. other than that im not sure what kind of dog would work best for us. we'll have to do lots of research on different breeds before hand.

what kind do you have? can you tell me a little about your dog please? thank you!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Mutts... They're the best. Plus, when you adopt a dog from a kennel, you not only save a life, they also temperament test all the dogs, so you'll know which one is good with kids, how much exercise they need, etc. Honestly, with 3 young kids, I wouldn't get a puppy, because they're a LOT of work, and you don't know what kind of temperament the dog will have once it's fully grown.

I have two dogs, one's a pitbull rescue (he's actually a pitbull/shepherd mix), and one we adopted from the SPCA (a shepherd/lab mix). Both are about 70-80lbs, and both are GREAT with my 2 year old, and with our cats. I've found that usually larger dogs are much calmer than little ones.

But like I said, I'd go to your local kennel and check out what they have there, first.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have a Golden Retriever right now which is great with my kids. You are needing a small to medium breed though. Cocker Spaniels are great also. I had one before my golden and they are also great with kids.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We had a Sheltie or Shetland Sheep Dog when my son was young. At first Beau was very jealous of DS because he had been the baby for 3 years and suddenly this little guy moves in and takes over. But once he got used to the idea, he was great. Our neighbors have a beagle which seems to work very well with their 4 kids.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 1:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I've always had pomeranians and mini-poms. They are a very loving addition to the family. And, they're not so big that they over-power the kids. Maybe you can approach the fence issue in a different way. You have 3 kids who need to play out in the yard. Wouldn't you want it fenced in for their safety & your peace of mind? Wink wink. LOL. You could always ask the backdoor neighbor if they mind if you put up a ence due to the children. See what they have to say & let your parents know.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We have a Brittany Spaniel. He is great with kids.
    crazymomof4787

Answer by crazymomof4787 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• IMO, you really need a fence with kids. I thin k it is good for them to play with others. That shouldn't keep you from them getting their own swingset though.
    Anonymous

• Puppies are cute, but they're a LOT of work! If I had 3 small children, I wouldn't want to deal with that, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• well i had a chihuuha nd i had to get rid of her cause after her first litter of pups she kinda started potting all around my house nd started chewing on toys i felt like i was giving up one of my own kids. and the people down the street have her and just last week she had another litter bigger nd she more angry
    memybabies09

Answer by memybabies09 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We only have one dog, DH had a red heeler when we met. We still have "Chance". He is a brilliant dog.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 12:49 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• We have always had chihuahuas. I love them because they are brave but funny little dogs, don't have to be walked and can fit inside the smallest yard and house. They get a bad rap because some of them are overly territorial and snappy, but if trained properly, they are great dogs.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 1:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2010