Do your teens listen to you??

Well mine listen but don't do it. I kept telling my daughters last night to go to bed. One is in HS and had a half a day today. The other one is in College and had a dr. appt this am.
Now it is 2 o'clock and one is taking a nap b/c she is so tired. LOL. The other one was yawning and yawning at the dr office. I have no sympathy for them.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• mine does pretty well. he is actually very helpful I have recently had total knee replacement annd I need a lot of help still. use a walker it is a long recovery. my oldest is my guardian angel he helps so much he is 25 years old and a great help. my husband helps also I am blessed.
    dtdori

Answer by dtdori at 2:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• my 17yr old if there some thing in it for him he will listen but other wise goes through one ear and out the other bounces off the walls
    lol
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have a 14yr old who has Autism. Most of the time he does actually hear me, but whether he does what I ask it another story. Depends on his 'mood' if he is "too tired" (aka lazy) to do it and what I am saying. Now if I say something like "do your chore" then I get a huffy sigh and have a 50/50 chance of it getting done anytime soon. But if it was something like "get your shoes on we are going out to eat" he would be 1st in line at the door!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• no , so when I tell her to get some sleep and she doesnt I dont let her nap,lol
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 7:10 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have 3 teens and our rule for bedtime is that they have to be in their own rooms by 10 PM. What they do after that is up to them. They don't have tvs or computers in their rooms so all they can be doing is talking on the phones but they all know they'll have to be up at 6 AM for breakfast before school, no exceptions. They're usually all in bed and asleep by 11 at the latest.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Your teens don't obey because you don't make them obey. When you tell them to do something you need to follow through. If you aren't going to follow through then don't tell them to do something. If you don't care if they are tired, don't tell them to go to bed. I raised my kids to have responsibility for themselves and they were responsible for getting themselves to bed and getting up as young teens. By the time my children were in college I didn't "tell" them to do anything. College age people are adults.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• I don't stress things like that. As long as they get up in time to do what they are supposed to it's misery on them if they've stayed up all night. :) As far as them listening to me otherwise...they might not like it but they do what they are told by me or dad without too much complaint. I have 17 and 14 yo girls.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:59 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• This is how they learn consequences of not listening. It's fine if this is the worst thing they do

Answer by admckenzie at 6:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Don't let it stress you out. Let them learn their actions have consequences.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2010