Does anyone NOT do Christmas with gifts at all,even for the kids?

Do you just celebrate it as a family holiday?
I've always wondered if anyone did this.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• We do not celebrate Christmas nor give gifts.

We celebrated Diwali last month, which is our big holiday of the year. It's also the holiday in which we do our gift giving.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I can't imagine doing Christmas without any gifts, but I guess if you get older and the kids are grown, the gifts might not matter as much? I don't know, just a guess.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My family didn't when I was a kid. We are jewish. I always felt so left out. It was awful. It's why I really have nothing to do with being jewish now. I now have a huge tree and presents coming out the ying yang.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Nope we always do gifts. I cant really imagine doing that to my kids. Kinda reminds me of that scene from the movie 4 Christmases where the little girl is all what no gifts?

Answer by gemgem at 2:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We dont, we do not decorate, or do gifts. We refuse to fall victim to the commercialism. We do celebrate family. We have a wonderful dinner great conversation and good times together. Our boys are 17 and almost 19 and we have been doing this for years. We give them a little cash and tell them to buy themselves something they want. The other people in the family we just tell them to go buy themselves something with the money they would have spent on our gifts. It is awesome and stress free.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I dream about it...does that count?
    No one else in my family will go for it. I tried suggesting drawing names for a gift exchange instead of having to buy a zillion gifts that no one gives a shit about and I was treated like Ebenezer Scrooge. You know, because I wanted the holidays to be more than just hustle bustle buy buy buy tear open, toss aside, tear open, toss aside...but I'm the weird one :-P
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I should clarify that I was talking about my extended family reacting that way...I never suggested to my kids that we not do gifts. They would probably be less resistant to the idea than everyone else I know.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We have always celebrated with gifts and family. As adults we do a secret santa exchange, and we each get something for the kids. Then we sit around for hours eating dinner and having great conversation while the kids play or sit and talk with us. Then we usually play a card game like Penny's from Heaven for something like that.

It is so much fun and I love giving people gifts and watching them get excited about what they get. We have a limit we spend so we aren't all going broke either.

Merry Christmas!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wish it would be 'acceptable' to only give ONE gift buy DH seems to feel other wise plus we are locked into this 'santa' thing because DH won't let me spill the beans... I hate the commercialism has gotten out of hand.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• We like making gifts for each other. There have been years when that was all we could do or sometimes the gift was not a actual gift, but we were and our time was because those are very valueable! We made booklets out of school paper and used glitter adn crayons to decorate. We wrote what we'd do for each other. One thing per month. It was like getting twelve gifts! So awesome... Merry Christmas
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 2:05 AM on Dec. 25, 2010