BREASTFEEDING ? WITH A NIPPLE RING

DOES ANYONE HAVE A NIPPLE PIRECED AND STILL BREASTFEED? IF SO HOW DO U DO IT? DO YA JUST TAKE IT OUT OR IS THERE SOMETHING U CAN BUY TO COVER IT UP? IM NOT DUE UNTILL JUNE BUT I THOUGHT ID FIND OUT NOW IF I NEED TO TAKE IT OUT SO IT CAN CLOSE UP IF IT NEEDS TO. IVE HAD IT IN FORALMOST 4YRS.

lala91172

Asked by lala91172 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the only way is to take it out because it is a choking hazard
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 8:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I agree take it out. Would be horrible if the baby choked on it.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I agree plus it would be hard for the baby to latch
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Breastfeeding is hard enough without that. I loved bf my DDs. It was one of my greatest joys of motherhood. I'd get rid of the ring. It's worth it to try, and you can probably put it back in later.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Nothing should be effected by your piercings but you will need to take them out while baby nurses, mainly due to it being a choking hazard but there is a small possibility of it injuring your nipple as well. Good Luck you will do great!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Hey, I have (or had and will have again) vertical barbells. I took out my piercings in the hospital and have been using a "threader" every couple of nights since then. You can buy a threader (mine was $10) at a piercing studio. It's like a needle in the sense that it is a tapered bar of metal, but the tip is dull and the other end has threading to which you can screw on your jewelry.
    I decided to temporarily go without the jewelry because it can affect how the baby latches. Thus, leaving it in could be problematic.
    If you have more questions or just want to chat, send me a message.
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 11:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Hey girl all that I can say is OUCH. Well even with 7 kids that is one question I can't help you with...lol
    luckymommax7

Answer by luckymommax7 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2008