What would you do if your child was unresponsive when you tried to wake him?

I would personally call 911. But here is the story - I babysit a 2 year old little boy one day a week. His mom drops him off today and says we have had a really weird week. Here on monday, his dad could not wake him. So dad calls mom at work, who leaves work and drives like crazy to get home (she works about 12 or so miles away). She gets home and said he was kind of looking at them but still not really making eye contact and not talking. He was very lethargic for the rest of the day. She did take him to the doctor, who said it could have been a hyperglycemic attack but wouldn't do any blood testing unless it happened again and that was the end of it. That just scares me. So she drops him off (at 5:30am while he is still sleeping) and says if he has any problems call me. I am thinking, yea, okay, I will call you after I call 911. I told dh about it and he said it reminded him of how his brother would act after one of his seizures. His brother has epilepsy. Should I mention that to mom? That way she could be watching out for that just in case? She honestly doesn't seem to concerned with it. I guess since her doctor wasn't then she doesn't seem to find reason too. I think I am more concerned than she is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Scary! I would be afraid to babysit him! I wouldn't blame you for calling 911 if he wasn't waking up...
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Oh, just wanted to add, the little boy has been fine all day. He is now sleeping for nap, kind of makes me nervous, but he has been acting like himself all day.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yeah, especially since you are the caregiver, you should defiantly call 911 then her. Especially if he doesn't wake up again. Suggesting to her about the possibility of epilepsy isn't a bad idea either.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That is so scary! I would be terrified to watch him, because if something happened on my watch his parents could come after me. Plus, I would be devastated!! I think he's safe with you, and I would not blame you for calling 911!!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My cousin would do that after she would have a seizure. I agree with you. If he does it at your home just call 911 and then his mom. Tell her that she she needs to have him seen and actually ask the doctor about seizures. It took a while for them to diagnose my cousin who also had a softball size tumor on her brain at the age of 4. Good luck and I hope everything gets figured out.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Wow...so scary. I would call 911 if it happens again.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, that is very scary. I would flip out if that happened to my daughter. I would suggest the possibility of epilepsy to the mother....anything to help the child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would for sure mention that to the mom in a casual way so it is in her mind. You and I would do the same...mom after 911!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would def. tell mom that if he does that at your house you WILL call 911 THEN her... you could, depending on the relationship, mention that your couisin etc. acted similar after a seizure. but it could be a whole bunch of things.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It does sound like a seizure to me. My nephew had one a few months ago he was outside playing with an older cousin and his cousin came in and said that Alex fell down and wouldn't move. I thought at first he was playing a trick but when I got out there he was on the ground eyes wide open I called his name and he wouldn't move. I panicked picked him up ran through the house yelling for my mom as I got out the front door his dad pulled up and rushed him the 2 blocks to the E.R. they sent him home and he seemed fine a few hours later he went to sleep and all of a sudden he started to seize again. It's scary stuff I would def. say something to her and I would also be sure to call 911 if it happened while in your care.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010