First time traveling in airport/on plane with baby. Advice/Tips Please??

J and I are flying out tomorrow for Christmas -- from Tx to Ohio. I'm nervous about lugging him and everything else through the airport by myself (family in Ohio has a carseat ready, so won't have to lug that), but it's just me and him - no other help carrying/getting through security, etc.

I'm nervous about him being okay on the plane, in my lap, for a three-hour flight (hopefully no delays, sitting on the runway for extended times, etc. -- I'm trying to not even think about that possibility!)

Any advice for things to be sure to take, not to take, little tips or tricks for the airport or the plane ride itself, etc.? J's 8.5 months old. Generally a really good and happy baby, but likes motion -- does NOT like to sit still for long -- and ALL HECK breaks loose when he's hungry!!

Help?

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say the best time to leave on a plane is during is nap or bedtime. Bring little snacks and books and toys for him to play with.
    Keep snacks in your personal bag and store in under the seat. That way if he gets cranky the snacks are near by.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Well, for starters... eliminate the purse. Bring everything you would bring in your purse and find a place for it in the diaper bag. That will be one less thing on your shoulder. An umbrella stroller. Thin and should fit in the over head compartment on the plane. Will eliminate having to carry him the entire time. Make sure you bring your WINTER coats on board with you, not in the luggage. Ohio is FREEZING this time of the year. Try not to have any other carry on luggage, as I don't think you'll be able to tackle it all by yourself. GL
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Make sure you bring a pacifier for landing and taking off to help with ears, a blanket cause most airlines will not give them out anymore, feed before hand if can, bring any diapers or spare clothes you might need. And just something small to keep them busy like a teething ring or small toy.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Flew with my daughter at the same age. One tip, don't bring premade formula, only powder. They will let you take water/juice for baby through security. If you breastfeed, take a shawl or something so you can feed on the plane. Try to have him sucking on something during takeoff. Mine wouldn't take a pacifier or bottle when we were taking off, but she was okay. Bounce him on your lap (lay him across your legs) if he gets antsy. He might sleep a majority or the whole flight. If it's a non-stop flight, consider yourself lucky! I hauled my kids halfway across the world and didn't have any problems with either of them! Of course bring his favorite toys or something for him to look at/play with/chew on during the flight.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, I agree with Nanixh....have him drinking/nursing during takeoff....it helps with the ears popping. Bring a blanket too. My daughter was 12 months and did great when we flew to Panama. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Thanks for all of the tips. He's not eating finger foods yet (he started solids late due to being premature and some other issues), so I can't distract him with those! I hope I can time it to where he's due for a bottle during takeoff time. I never check luggage -- I hope I can manage with him, a diaper bag, and a roller suitcase of the size that you can take on the plane with you. I'll have a stoller, but they say I can gate-check it....
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would use a sling (I prefer the Moby wrap) before using a folding stroller. It keeps your hands free and your baby safe on your body.
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would probably bring the carseat anyway, and use it on the plane, as well as a sling or wrap of some sort.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Use the carseat on the plane? How is that done?
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You can use a carseat on the plane but you have to buy your baby a seat. You install it the same way you would in your car. You can also take any liquids aboard that are for your baby. (or even for a toddler) I recommend no milk during the trip--from all my experiences that was the only time my babies got sick while flying. Try water or diluted juices. Bring a blanket, toy, a binkie, or whatever else your baby is used to having for comfort, as well as a couple of new surprises he's never seen before. Carry as little as possible with you that you can't roll. And if anyone offers to help you out---let them!! Even if it is handing him accross the isle for someone else to entertain him for a few minutes. It helps with the boredom. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun. Make it as much a game for him as you can.
    JeanaS

Answer by JeanaS at 5:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010