Why do I get such sporadic child support payments?

I have the debit card that is uploaded with money I guess when he makes a payment. But I get really odd and sporadic payments. Sometimes they are regular every 2 weeks for a couple months then 5-6 months of nothing. Then I'll get 1 or 2 regular payments and then again nothing. What could this mean? Is he really working a job and as soon as he notices they are taking child support he quits. Can a guy really be such an asshole? And in this economy? Also, this doesn't seem like something he would do. He seemed pretty nice way back when when I knew him. The child is 11 now and he hasn't seen him since he was 5.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, a guy can be such an asshole. I, myself, is currently dealing with someone with a similar history with child support. If lucky, I receive 20 dollars a month to support TWO children under the age of 5. It sounds to me that he's not working and only applying money to his account when he has it. I would suggest keeping up with friend of the court regarding the lack of support.
    kangel48446

Answer by kangel48446 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• contact the department of revenue. 6 months of not paying chlid support should result in jail time.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would contact the department of revenue and get him to pay off what he's missing
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, A guy CAN BE SUCH AN ASSHOLE!! for sure!
    I'm sorry it's so sporadic and I know how that can be. It sounds like he's not working regularly, is it taken directly out of his check, do you know??
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Maybe you need to ask some one about it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Also, in my county, I went to the prosecutor's officer and paid a one time lifetime fee of $25 and they always will take care of child support matters for me. I will get his tax check b/c he's behind, they automatically take support out of his check, he has to go to compliance hearings and I never have to attend. Good luck!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think that's what I'm on as well. I signed up for it when he was born 11 years ago and I guess that's whats happening for me. Years ago, 2 years in a row, I got big payments around tax time. Now the payments are small anyways, around $30. So I usually just buy something small for my son. I don't budget for them. I just find it weird they are so all over the place.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• you can contact the cse office and ask them.. but yeah some people are like that and/or just work inconsistently etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It all depend on where your child support enforcement agency sends the information. Here in NC all child support goes through the capital first and because of their delays it can cause delays in child support from being paid out. I know my mom went nearly a year before our capital finally got the child support payment to her from when my father had to change jobs to afford child support as well as supporting his own household. I would question the enforcement agency about what is going on and tell them what has been happening, if they refer you to the head office then call them and ask them what's going on and tell them that you want it resolved as quickly as possible.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If he's working, you can have his wages garnished, so you'll be sure to get child support payments.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 24, 2010