Anyone have some ideas on how I can manage school, work and the kids?

I had my oldest daughter when I was 17, so I never went to college because I was to busy being a mommy and had no one to watch her while I was in college. I am now 30 years old and a full time college student. I also work full time and have 3 kids to take care of. I find it hard to keep up with everyhting. I find my self slacking in one of the areas. I either start slacking in the house work, school work or spending enough time with the kids. My boyfriend of 10 years help me with the house work and kids right now because he is unemployed. But i believe it should be a join effort.

Adele3

Asked by Adele3 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think you might need to assess your priorities. maybe take a smaller course load in school. or cut back on hours at work. your daughter is also old enough to be helping with the house.
    Anonymous

• You can do it!!! I am a single mom of two boys. I have a 3 month old and a 7 year old. I work full-time and go to school full-time and am on the honor roll. I would say, let him pick up where you left off on the house...he's a stay at home dad and you have 3 other jobs right now. If you feel that guilty about it then pick a day, say on the weekend, where you can all clean as a family....you have a teenager and a 8 year old,they can help with some chores. My 7 year old takes out the garbage. I balance homework by doing it when I have down time at home....after the baby goes to bed or on lunch at work. I don't require a lot of sleep so I am often up til 12 and get up again at 5. As far as spending time wtih the family, again, take a few hours out of your weekend and do something together. Eat meals together, play a board game together, etc during the week. It's tough but you can do it.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I know several mothers that did this when I was in graduate school and I was always amazed at how they could do it. Because I know for a fact that I could not. I asked a coworker the other day, who just graduated, how did she work full time, go to school, and juggle her busy kids. She never slept. I have no words of wisdom. Only complete wonder at how women do this. I know I would have to give something up or cut down on my load. Since work to put buy food, clothing, gas...ect. not an option, and neither would be the kids - school would have to be the compromise. Unless there was a way to juggle my work schedule. This is a hard one. Everyone says you can have it all, do it all, be everything to everyone - well NO WE CAN'T. That's a flat out lie. I hope it works out for you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• If your bf is unemployed than he should be handling the housework JMO My husband and I always share the work if we are both working or if one of us is a stay at home parent that person does the most housework. I'm a busy mom too I work, chase after three monsters 6,5, and 18 months and I volunteer a lot with PTO and FRG (family readiness group its an army thing) and with my DH deployed right now its all up to me. The best advice I can give is make a schedule and stick to it. I outline times for everything from doing the dishes to play time with the kids. My two oldest also have gotten more chores like the 5 yr old vacummes the hallway and her room and her brothers room and the oldest cleans bathrooms and vacummes her room. and they both help with straitening up the house on a daily basis. Realize you can't do it all and delegate. And multi-task. I call clients while cleaning the kitchen and folding the laundry LOL
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 10:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I am a full-time student also, but I don't work so this might not help. I use from the time I get home until my son's bed time to spend time with him, and hold off on homework until after he goes to bed, unless it's something that I have to absolutely work on all day. I use the weekend to clean the house and do laundry. My hubby helps out by taking care of dinner and dishes during the week, that way I have more time to devote towards whatever I'm doing.
    mcmgirl88

Answer by mcmgirl88 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2008