Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Can my mother win in a visitation court case?

I take good care of my kids. We stopped seeing my mom about 8 yrs. ago because she is a big drinker,and she doesn't handle her self well. Also she was causing problems between me and my husband,wich was making me crazy/depressed. When I stopped going around her within 2 years, I no longer needed my depression meds. I have been good. Now I received court papers in the mail.
Please does someone have an answer for me? I was planning on surprizing her on christmas with the kids, but now I feel like if we go it will be ugly.

Answer Question

Asked by redrain at 4:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 3 (20 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • My mother was awarded grandparents rights to see my brother's child. She gets 6 hours once a month, on a Sunday. Good luck to you.

    Answer by genagina at 4:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • It's unlikely.

    Anyone can file a law suit. I can sue you for stealing my cat. I don't even have a cat. Anyone can file a suit.

    Get a good lawyer. It is worth it. Don't talk too much in front of the judge. The less you say, the more she wil look like a drunk idiot.

    Answer by ecodani at 4:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Wow...I hope not. I refuse to let my parents see their only grandchild. They're just terrible in my opinion.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Yup she can. Of course I live in the most messed up State from ( what i have seen) for these things anyways. When you have to worry that someone having schizo affective disorder along with various other things from that cluster getting your kid in court, thats big trouble in my mind. You can say its not their fault they have this prob but you can also say that someone that murdered someone and is " insane" that thats not their fault either. I dont buy the deal they are on meds for it. LOL thats like saying that someone that has Alzheimers is on meds as well and therefore they are all right. NOT!

    Answer by NE1outthere at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • There is a such thing as grandparents right. In your case maybe supervised visit would be sufficient. Do you have proof of her wrong doings? She should be able to see her grandbabies reguardless of her issues, but I would def. Want them to be supervised. Good luck and visiting for christmas may be nice. Maybe you could speak with her before the visit and let her know you do not want any drama around the kids. Maybe you guys could come to an agreement without going to court.

    Answer by amber1330 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Yes, possibly. It's called Third Party Visitation rights. If she has filed the proper court documents (and you have been served them) she may be able to get visitation. IF you believe she is someone you think is not trustworthy, or a role-model for your kids you HAVE to file and Answer. If you don't she may win by default. You need legal advise. You may be able to have her visits supervised, if nothing else. Even if you are willing and able to work things out with her yourself--if she has filed the legal documents you need to respond. Good luck. J

    Answer by JeanaS at 4:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Any interaction you have with her from now on, whether thru telephone, email or face to face contact, document everything. Good luck!

    Answer by cheekycherub at 5:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • my brother spent two years trying to get his daughter away from her maternal grandmother (fiance died when baby was a week old). Get a good lawyer.

    Answer by tortkey at 6:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • I was told grandparents dont have any rights but that was years ago

    Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

  • Um.... even in grandparent rights states she doesn't have a leg to stand on. In MOST states grandparents rights are for those in which the said parent is dead or otherwise out of the childrens live AND there has to be a history of closeness with the gparent... its been EIGHT years... um there is no relationship there.
    She can sue but in gen. she has a snowballs chance in Florida.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.