Starting to date

I need help. I am starting to date again but am scared of getting hurt again. I have been single for a year and have an infant and a school ager. I know that it's not fair to another man if I'm "not ready." I'm just scared of getting played again. How do I go about making sure that this guy is actually honest? I am such a bad judge of character lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• If you meet a guy you are attracted to, try to just be friends with him for a while until you get to know him better. If he is a good person, he will wait. Don't let your kids get to know him unless you become serious. You can damage your kids if you expose them to different guys (speaking from experience). I agree with the other writers that you definitely don't want tgo keep going out with the same type of guys. i met my current husband 14 years ago. He was totally different from the guys I had dated in the past. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. Make sure you have the same goals and dreams as your man. It helps.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 1:05 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• All I can say is take your time. Don't rush things!! REALLY get to know him before you get serious.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• It's a scary thing, dating. Especially when you have emotional baggage. A lot of your dating will be trial and error. You've got trust issues and you are still vulnerable. I've been there. The craziest thing you need to watch out for is attracting the same type of guy. Do you know you can do this and not even realize it? Sort fast. The first sign of dishonesty, move on. And jessicarae is right, go slowwwww. Feel him out. If he's a good man, he'll be patient.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Before you begin to date again, my best advice to you is heal so you will not attract the same type of guy as before, Truth be told, if you dont' heal from the past, the same type of situation will creep up on you again and you'll be in so deep, that it will take hell and high water to pull you out...I'm speaking from experience only...Once I healed from the last hurt I had, I knew right away when I met a flake of a man...
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 11:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008