How do I get my 4year old to quit pooping his pants and then hiding his poop in his sisters stuff

My son has high functioning autism he has yet to be screened for further evaluation but will be screened March 1st. He has been pooping his pants in his bedroom when he is by himself and picking at his poop then hiding it in his sisters stuff or things they both play with. The thing is he knows how to go to the potty and do his business and he does know right from wrong but when asked why he pooped his pants and hid it he always replies back wasn't me or I don't know. Please my fiancee and I are at our wits end we don't know how to help him we have tried calling the doctors the crisis response center no one is helping us.

Concerned Mother

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a dd who has high functioning aspergers....so I know where you are coming from thinking it is related to his autism.

But COULD it be from an impaction in his bowel. My son has this issue and couldnt help it and didnt even realize he had done it. I put him on a teaspoon of Miralax in his juice once a day and he was cured!!!

I know it could still be an autism issue, but I thought maybe he cant help it and feels ashamed....just a thought...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You could also try a reward chart... I've worked with autistic kids (thought they tended to be 7+). The sticker charts worked really well for them. Basically, when he either tells you he had an accident or goes potty in the potty he gets a sticker. When he gets X amount of stickers he gets his goal (which could be anything that works for your family). Some ideas of "goals" would be... helping mom cook dinner, getting to pick the family movie, trip to the park with Daddy, or you could have a prize box with toys in it. The key is, if this is a behavior thing, is to find his "currency" (the thing that gets his attention) and use it to your advantage.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 9:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wonder if he is "gifting" it to his sister.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:59 AM on Dec. 24, 2010