bed times for your kids?

What is an appropriate bed time for a two, almost three year old? When should bedtimes get later, at what age?

YungMum_STL

Asked by YungMum_STL at 8:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let my children guide this one (for now LOL) they are 2 1/2 and 16 months.

they get to a point at night where they tell me "cup" "go bed" "night night" it's also about the same time each night so it's not like I'm letting them run wild or anything. It was 8:30 but after the time change, it's 7:30, we're trying to adjust slowly to the time change and I try keeping them up a little later but it keeps reverting to the same old 7:30 no matter what I do.

when they get older, I'll probably do the same within reason.

I definitely do not put them to bed before the sun goes down though. I always hated that as a kid! LOL Why should I sleep if the sun isn't :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• According to articles that I have read re-sleep an 1-3 year old need a total of 12-14 hours per day!

So what time would be depended on what time they get up in the morning, and how long they nap during the day. It's just nap (or naps) and overnight should equal 12-14 hours.

When my kids were that age they did NOT nap; they woke up at 6:30 am every morning, so they were in bed at 5:30 pm every night...which gave them a total of 13 hours. Does that help? (Of course if my kids napped during the day then they would have been in bed later)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• ya know SAHMinIL I guess I never thought about it but, yep my kids get about 13-14 hours. 12 at night (up at 7:30ish) and a 1-2 hour nap in the day.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My dd goes to bed at 7, was 8 before the time change. She's more on a "when it starts getting dark out routine."
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• SuperNanny says average is between 7-8 pm and if I remember right this continues until they are in school. Their naps are just what gets shorter and eventually elminated.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My 19 month old goes to bed around 8:30, but usually doesn't take a nap during the day anymore. I guess he would get about 12 hours, bc he usually wakes up when I leave for school at 8:30-9. To me this is appropriate, but then I had a 9:00 bed time up until high school, lol.
    mcmgirl88

Answer by mcmgirl88 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• See that's just it everyone that has posted so far is saying there kids are getting 12-14 hours of sleep but yet they all have different bed times. :) So it's not so much the time as it the total amount of sleep.

If nap (or naps) and overnight sleep = 12-14 hours then I say your doing just fine!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• i have an 18 month old and a 5 month old and we have a very strict routine to keep the lil bit of sanity there is there. wake up at 8:30 breakfast 9:00 snack 10:30 makaylas nap 11 nicholas lunch 1230 family nap time 130- 4 dinner 4 snack 530 dinner 715 bath 745 reading time 8 makayla bedtime 830 nicholas bedtime
    if we r off schedule and do not get these 12-15 hrs of sleep its chaotic and stressful. and i am def the mommy who sleeps when her kiddos sleep.
    nikki6301

Answer by nikki6301 at 3:34 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my girls are 19 months and have been going to bed around 6ish since they were about 10 months. they kind of set the schedule themselves. they would get up around 6ish nap about 9am nap again about 1pm then in bed at 6pm. now they are down to just one nap a day but they still go to sleep about 6 or 6:30.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2008