Why and I leaking breast milk AGAIN? adult content

I stopped breastfeeding almost 6 months ago! I haven't leak for nearly 5 months and today I was leaking so much I needed to change my shirt! Why am I still leaking?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Health

• are you by any chance drinking anything with milk thistle in it?that promotes lactation.
    or is there something that could be affecting your hormones?
    the body is a complicated instrument, could just be one of those things.

you think that's weird, when my nieces were being weaned off breast milk and they would cry for it, in both cases I started leaking breast milk!
    it can happen!
    mother nature has a sense of humor!
    Anonymous

• That happened to me. I hadn't breast fed in 5 months and all of a sudden when my dd would cry I would feel like I was about to lactate. One day I actually did lactate. That was a year ago and I still lactate especially from one. My dr told me that it was normal and that getting on birth control would help to dry it all up. I did...and it never stopped. I've heard it can be a benign tumor in your head messing with your hormones. I don't have health insurance so I will just have to keep lactating until I can get a second opinion.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 5:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The body was designed to very, very slowly stop breastfeeding over many years. The worldwide average age of weaning is 4.4 years, and that's with countries like the US bringing that average down. Most mammals nurse their young for 2/3 of the way to sexual maturity, and for humans that means about 7 years. Crazy, huh?

It's probably just that your body is still making milk. I've known women who leaked DECADES after they weaned their children. It happens sometimes, it's nuts!

You can wear binding bras, eat lots of sage or put the milk to good use. There are recipes for breastmilk cookies :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i've leaked after stopping nursing... it's possible and doesn't mean that anything is wrong with you at all... if you're concerned bring it up to your DR... otherwise you could pump and donate the milk as well!
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010