3 cm dialated and 80-85% effaced...what does this mean..

I went in last wednesday for an appt and was 2.5 cm dialated..and after the appt i started bleeding, and it didnt stop til thursday, but on thursday it was streaky and in a mucusy discharge...
then i went in today and i am now 3 cm dialted and 80-85% effaced.. and my lower back is hurting, but its constant not just when i stand..ect...

aboocher09

Asked by aboocher09 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The end is near...! Of pregnancy of course. ;0) Good luck you may end up with a Christmas baby! Then again... It could be New Years!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• the effacemnent means you are thinning so it can stretch to let the baby threw,if you are at 3 could be anytime.i was usually about 3 when started contractions then within hours was to ten
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 4:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• keep an eye on it. that mucus could have been your mucus plug. best thing you can do is call your doctor and see what he or she says. chances are that things are starting to move along and it would be my guess that you will have the baby sometime over the next few days. u dont wanna go in too early or they will just send you home. being only 80% efaced, i would wait at least another day or two unless ur water breaks or u start contractions. if u do start contractions, start timing them. if they get close to 10 minutes apart, go to the hospital
    teastin14

Answer by teastin14 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• pregnant bellyIt means you are going to be having a new addition to the family SOON!!! YAY!! Congrats!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Sounds like you lost your mucus plug! Congrats! As far as 3cm dialated and 85 percent effaced, that's is good news! Sounds like your going to be having a baby real soon! If your back pain moves to your lower abdomen and your belly begins to harden (contractions) start the timing. You want to wait a little bit until you head to the hospital. When you can't talk through the contractions (which will feel like awful, awful period cramps) and your contractions are 3-5 minutes apart its time to book it to the hospital (unless its quite a drive there) of course if your water breaks head strait in. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It means your cervix is thin and open 3 cm. The bleeding also means it is likely that your practitioner swept your membranes without your knowledge or consent (which is messed up).

You can walk around at any dilation for weeks, or you can not be dilated and literally have a baby an hour later. It doesn't tell you when labor will start, how fast or easy it will be, or how healthy you or baby are.

I'd stop letting your practitioner do internal exams. They are optional, not necessary, and introduce risks into the equasion that aren't worth the benefits (which is essentially none).

My two cents.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• my pelvic area feels like i was punched.. like its sore. and my back pain is a constant back pain.. i havent had many contractions at all..i had some today but they were 10 mins apart.. and after i do contract i have to use the bathroom....is that normal...
    aboocher09

Comment by aboocher09 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I might call your ob just in case. Sounds like it could be early labor. As I said before don't go in too early or they could just send you home or you may be sitting there for a while. Is this your first baby?
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yeah this is my first. i just dont wanna be the girl who "cried labor" if that makes sense.. lol
    aboocher09

Comment by aboocher09 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• That's unless your doctor tells you to come strait in :) if not take a shower get everything prepared...walk around it helps labor move along much faster. Also, do some squat, sounds silly, but it helps stretch you out.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010