Chicken Stock?

Can't stand the canned or boxed ones (make me ill) so how do you make it yourself?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 5:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Ok well the way I learned how... Im sure there are other ways...
    Put the leftover bones and skin from a chicken carcass into a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Add veggies(ie parsley.
    celery, onion, and Carrots). Then add some salt and peper maybe about 1/2 tsp of each. Bring it all to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Then let it simmer for about 4-5 hours (longer if you want). Every once in awhile skim off the foam that comes to the top. Then remove the bones and strain the stock.

Hope that helps you :) Im sure there is a faster way but thats the way I know.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have made chicken stock for years. Basically all you do is boil some chicken on the bone with maybe a carrot, onion and celery and then strain it all. If you had a good amount of meat, let it cool and put back any of the good parts back in the stock. You may want to add some salt when you cook with it. If you refrigerate the liquid overnight, the fat will harden and you can just scoop it off the next day.
    If you are ambitious or, like me- on a tight budget - you can buy a whole chicken (I just got 2 for 6$), cut it in pieces that you freeze for other meals and then just boil whatever you have left- the carcass. I know some people dislike cutting raw chicken, but you can use gloves if you have to and spray everything down with a mild bleach/water solution after you clean it all, and you will have lots of stock and lots of chicken meat.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• So easy, put chicken in large pan with salt & pepper and boil until meat comes off the bone. Pour through a strainer to remove any meat and bones. There's your stock, if you like add the meat back to stock with some chopped celery and campbells cream of chicken soup heat to boiling and add egg noodles and you have some yummy homemade chicken noodle soup :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I buy the whole chicken thats already been cut up and packaged. Boil that for a good while, and add any spices you would like to doctor up your broth.
    eyezofblue76

Answer by eyezofblue76 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Cook a chicken - whole or cut in peices, doesn't matter. Roasted, boiled, baked, anything works. Take the meat off the bones, and throw the bones, skin, anything you won't eat, in a big pot. Add any veggies you want - the more you add, the richer the flavor (celery, carrots, onions, are the main ones). Season, if you want (I add some parsley and black pepper). Boil, covered, for a couple of hours or so. Line a colander with a few layers of cheesecloth, and place in a bowl big enough to hold all the liquid. Slowly pour the whole works in the colander, and throw away the cheesecloth & everything it caught, and what's left is lovely stock! Works with turkey too!
    Anonymous

• Carcass+ celery, carrots, onion, garlic and seasonings- cover with water and simmer-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:30 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• What everyone else said, lol
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:08 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• So basically chicken stock is the same as chicken broth? Funny how the canned stuff never tastes like it. Thank you.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Dec. 24, 2010