omg my 4 1/2 month old has RING WORM!!

please tell me I am not the only mom that has had this happen?>

how and why did she get it?

I did read it has nothing to do with worms, THANK GOD! lol
it's an infections of the skin.

The doc gave me a cream to put on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did an ask.com search and here is what I found.: Ringworm is a fungal infection caused by several types of microsporum and trichophyton fungus. Hair and fur loss in affected areas is common, and the disease is named for the frequently ring-shaped lesions on the skin that form as the infection moves outward in a radial fashion. Pets are common carriers, but many other types of animals also can be infected by ringworm and can transmit it to humans and to other species. Ringworm is very persistent in the environment, even when animals are removed. Treatment typically involves use of a natural or medically synthesized antifungal substance.
    I know that when I was little we got it from our cat. So your pets probably need to be treated for it as well, or after she gets rid of it you will just transmit it back to her.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/48733-animals-carry-ringworm/#ixzz18yb9KCGC
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Doesn't it come from cats or dogs?? I am not sure but I hope it clears up soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's really not that big of a deal - or as icky as it sounds. As you've been told, it doesn't have anything to do with worms :) But it's highly contagious and she might have gotten it from someone who had it holding her, though touching something that someone (or a pet) infected has touched - or if you have cats, they can pass it through skin contact if they've got it. Use the cream till it goes completely away and it'll be fine :)

My daughter got a large one on her inner thigh at about 12 months old - but she had been in contact with a foster child we had who had ringworm when we got her. SO, we just put the cream on and it was gone pretty quick :) Other times my kids have had it, I've not known where it came from :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You are not the only mom :) my daughter Ava was 4 months when she got it as well. My nephew had it and his mother had used my daughter bathtub which caused her to get 8 spots on her booty. I was so upset. His dad worked at a cow farm and didn't wash his hands before picking him up and cows are HUGE carriers of ring worm. She was given a cream as well and it took a bit for them to go away, but they do go away. Make sure there is airflow to them, they love warm, moist areas (kinda like a yeast infection.) Good luck and I hope they stary disapearing soon!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It is a fungus. Did he warn you to use caution with hand washing and towels. It is contagious..which is how she probably got it. My boys had it once or twice when they were little. It might be itchy..but within 48 hours of starting the cream it will look and feel much better. Make sure you use the cream for the amount of time the perscription says. If you don't the infection will appear to go away...and then come back worse. It's going to be fine. I would check anyone in your family who comes in contact with her just to be sure nobody else needs to be treated.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:30 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have dogs but they don't have any spots missing or any areas that look like ring worm so how do I treat them baths?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It's probably not your dogs - cats are a very likely culprit but if your daughter is around many people it's probable that's where it came from. More often than not, it's passed by people than pets, from my experience.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• The species of fungal infections that the animals get are rarely transmitted to humans. I wouldn't worry about your dog being the source unless the infection doesnt respond to the anti-fungal. If that happens, your doc will culture and speciate the dermatophyte and change the anti-fungal to an oral mediation. The oral meds can be hard on the liver and kidneys so they are a last resort. Make sure to follow all instructions for the cream and use it even if the skin looks like it is gone. It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks for complete treatment. GL
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 5:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Clean everything. Buy some lysol. After you give you daughter a bath spray lysol in the whole tub. If you use a sponge or mesh type bath inside the tub, toss it. I agree probably not your dogs. Most likely someone your daughter came in contact with had it or was a carrier from their pets. Sorry I forgot to mention the lysol. Wanted to mention it now :) you don't want to get it, too!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• From what I understand, it's just a simple fungal rash. Use the cream and it should be fine. It's called ringworm because it's usually a round rash that might resemble a worm.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010