I DON'T HATE GAY PEOPLE. AM I STILL HOMOPHOBIC? edit: am I hateful? WITH EDIT:) one more edit: read closely. I said I don't feel uncomfortable being around those who are gay. more answers added for clarification

Even though I don't agree with homosexuality, I am not an ass about it. I don't believe in holding hate signs like the westboro(sp?) church. I don't believe in them not being able to serve in the military. However, I don't believe in Gay marriage. I won't hold signs or anything but this is what I believe. I am a Christian and so when I say anything about how I don't agree with homosexuality I am clumped with the people who hate them. I don't believe God hates Gay people. I don't believe they are just gay but each one is an individual and they are more than their sexuality just like straight people. I don't feel uncomfortable being around those who are gay. I am not a hateful person. I just have beliefs and I feel I have a right to them. My beliefs don't change how I treat people...I am a nice person. Dh and I will pass them onto our son and that is a whole other thing right there. Now, I am manipulating my son and I am brainwashing him kwim? Many parents pass down what they believe to their children--morals and such. I am a horrible parent according to some because I say that it's wrong(based on the bible) to act on homosexuality. If my son turned out gay, I would love him and I would never wish I never had him. I love him regardless. I would feel it is wrong and I would say how I felt but never would I push him out of my life. Sorry, I am rambling and this is long. I just want to cover everything. I don't think I am a homophob. Do you?

EDIT: AM I HATEFUL????

THANK YOU MOMS FOR BEING NICE TO ME ESPECIALLY SINCE THIS IS A TOUCHY SUBJECT AND CAN BE TAKEN WRONG:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I do not think you are a homophobe, either.

I, like you, am a christian and it is not my job to please others when it comes to moral issues. When all is said & done, at the end of my life, I will not stand before a jury of my peers and answer for how I've lived up to God's standards, but to God himself. The word of God tells us how He stands on issues such as this, so don't worry about what others think, only what God says through His word and through your own convictions.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 7:11 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• are you scared of homosexuals, in the sense their gay might rub off on you if come into contact with them? if not, you are not a homophobe.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Homophobic means a fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men. And behavior based on such a feeling. You do not sound that way to me. If you are treating them the same way you do straight people, then I woul say you do not fit the definition.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• phobe= fear. To me a homophobe is someone (usually male) who is very afraid of anything homosexual and will act that fear out hatefully or violently. You sound more like "opposed to gay marriage"
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't call you a homophobe. I believe you have the right to your beliefs too, disagree with them though I may.

I do think that teaching children that there is only one right way when it comes to anything IS brainwashing. When you tell them from the time they are little that gay people are sinners, then they have little chance of developing any other opinions on the matter, which is brainwashing by definition. I have religious beliefs, too, but I do not tell my children that they are the only right way. I share my beliefs with them, include them if they want, but they also learn about other religious paths.

Why would you feel the need to remind him that you think being gay is a sin if he turned out to be gay? He knows. He doesn't need to hear it again. Have you seen the lifetime movie about a mother whose gay son killed himself because of that? Gay men suicide horribly frequently because they feel so alone.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not at all. You are entitled to your opinion and it seems like your able to voice it in a respectable way- which is more than I can say for some others
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't think you are a homophobe, but I also don't think it is right to tell your child what to believe in..whether that's to think that being gay is bad or anything else for that matter. You should teach your child to love everyone no matter what. If your reasoning for not liking people who are gay is because of the bible then you need to read this: I found this a few months ago and thought it was awesome. I hope you rethink things. You think homosexuality is a sin but so is not treating your body like a temple And ladies should have their head covered. And in Deutteronomy, a marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, and she should be executed is she is not.and that anyone who commits adultery should be stoned to death. In Mark, divorce is prohibited. I assume for homosexuality, you're referring to Leviticus 18:6: "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female. It is an abomination." A similar verse occurs
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 5:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• two chapters later, in Leviticus 20:13: "A man who sleeps with another man is an abomination and should be executed." Leviticus is a holiness code written 3,000 years ago. It also includes prohibitions against round haircuts, tattoos, working on the Sabbath, wearing garments of mixed fabrics, eating pork or shellfish, getting your fortune told, and even playing with the skin of a pig. (There goes football!). I believe in morality, which is doing right regardless of what I am told...not in religion, which is doing what I am told regardless of what is right. You're welcome to your own interpretation of the bible and of politics, of course, but for me, I need more than 'the bible says so" to justify certain things in the world and certainly to judge them. "
    I don't know if you've ever read the bible and what is actually said about homosexuality, but if so you should know many things you do aren't biblically right.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 6:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I take a what bob does approach to this what bob does or believes does not affect me so why do I care.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010