cake in a jar recipes for deployed soldiers?

ok im attempting to make my first one for my husbands birthday and if it turns out ok im making him another one for his permotion...
any tips and advice?
whats the best recipe that makes and ships well...
can i just use one large jar or do i have to make several small ones?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 6:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• This looked like a good idea here: Link

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Sorry, I don't have any tips but just wanted to say- what a great idea!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Not sure. Good Luck:)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• When using the jars I would be sure to wrap them very well in bubble wrap. The boxes look like a mangled mess by the time they get there. Specify that there are breakable items in there. You may want to send a cake pan as well. Does he have a way of baking it? Or are you baking it for him? I think that is so sweet and I am sure he is going to love it! Wish I would have thought of that, but of course I always made cookies and brownies and candies for my hubby.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I've made cookies in a jar before....you can find easy recipes online. They look pretty, I am not sure how well they ship. You might lose the pretty pattern a bit if you do the layering thing, but it should ship as well as anything else in a jar. As for how they turn out- the cookies were good but it is kind of up to the recipient. One girl I gave one to ate most of the jar raw. Not the dough raw- the powdered stuff in the jar raw.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• no ill be baking it for him and shipping the jar and sending him iceing , unless i can find a brownie recipe that i can make in a jar bake and ship to him....
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Wait a minute... are you wanting to bake an actual cake in a jar before shipping? That may sound dumb, but that's what I got from your response. I've never heard of that, to me "cake in a jar" is just sending the mix already to go.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Ok... I followed But Mommie's link and get it now. lol
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 24, 2010