If someone gives you a Christmas present, do you feel obligated to get them one?

I do, always have, and I'm starting to hate that quality about myself! This year, everyone that got me something, got something in return, but the 10-12 others I bought for not only didn't get me anything in return, some didn't even say thank you.
Now, hold your bashing telling me how selfish I am or that it's better to give than to receive. That's not what this is about! I couldn't care less if I got ANY presents! My only question is.......Do you feel obligated to buy a present for someone that buys one for you?

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 6:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• Actually I do feel obligated to get them something and while i feel like you do that it isn't about getting presents it makes me wonder if other people feellike that also but it is also rude not to at least say thank you for the gifts
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i absolutely do and it sucks this year cause i'm broke
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes I feel obligated as well, but I guess their comes a point when you just can't worry about it.
    eyezofblue76

Answer by eyezofblue76 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I do feel obligated. The people you gifted should have had some manners and said thank you, the grinches!
    Anonymous

• I definitely do, and this year we have so little money and so little time, we're stretched thin, it's been very hard.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes and I hate it! Some years, I get mixed up about when it's BIL & SIL's turn to be w/ our half of the family, so I don't get them anything, then they are there and they've gotten me something and I feel like crap. I haven't had the money to get anything extra (except for the kids) so I don't want anything from anybody.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• yes, i do but we got a few surprise gifts this year and I cant buy them somthing so I sent them a christmas card and a picture of my son since it was uncles that gave us presents. They dont normally send anything though
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I do! And I HATE when someone gets me something and I had no idea they were planning on doing so. I feel so awkward.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes, I do too! Aside from people I know are getting gifts for my children (like immediate family) i tell most everyone else they don't have to get me anything in return. i just like to throw the idea out there so OTHERS don't feel obligated like i do. people usually do reciprocate, because the obligation eats at them just as it does most everyone else. i sent my friend who's pregnant with her 3rd a gift for the baby and her 2 other kids, we were best friends since we were 4 and haven't spoken much in the last few years since she moved, so i made it a point to tell her not to worry about sending anything back. i just wanted her to know i still love her & her kids and i want to make them smile on Christmas :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes. People should thank you, it's so rude not to do so. I HATE it when the giving and receiving extends between moms at school, kids to kid friends, the neighbor, etc. It's TOO MUCH. There's just not enough money to go around.

Can't we be grateful at other times of the year instead of cramming it into one day? It's absurd. I have a big family so right there, I'm screwed.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:52 PM on Dec. 23, 2010