21 day shipping with USPS?? Anybody actually had it take that long?

I ordered a text book from a seller on Amazon. It's coming USPS, shipped by the person today and the expected delivery date is January 18th. The funny thing is that the 18th will be 3 full weeks into my class so the book will be worthless. The seller and I are both in the U.S. so I don't see why it would take so long.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 6:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Shopping

• WHAT! That's so crazy!! I have never heard of it taking that long for ground shipping!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Wow! A textbook shouldn't take that long to get shipped even at standard mail rates unless it's on back order.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I would be writing amazon and reordering the book from a different seller...that is crazy...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Books are classified as 4th class mail. A regular letter is 1st class which is why it arrives in a couple of days. 4th class mail is a very inexpensive way to ship items that are not fragile, perishable, or time sensitive, as books are heavy.

In the future I recommend requesting USPS FLAT RATE Priority Mail--flat rate up to 70 pounds--so long as the item(s) fit in the specially marked boxes. Prices range from $4.90 (envelope) to $14.50 (large box)--at least you'll be guaranteed to get it when you need it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yep... Lori is right. It is also called Media mail. I have never had it take that long. Maybe 10 days, but not much longer. Don't fret yet.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:56 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If you get the free super saver shipping it always takes 3 weeks. its shipped book rate which is the slowest possible but it also makes it the cheapest way to ship. I always order my Amazon Xmas stuff the First week in November to be safe,
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't ship packages or have them shipped to me.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Many times that's a safe expected date. I find that often times your pkg arrives earlier than that.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 7:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2010