I breastfead my son until 4 months old then we found out he was lactose intolerant and changed to soy. Everything was great and he seemed well but now has been very constipated with hard like pellets or none at all until I use a suppository. We have also been giving him peaches but it hasnt helped. Any suggestions and is this normal he crys now when trying to poop and cant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep. my son was on soy formula because the milk-based ones gave him really bad gas. He did great for the first couple months but then it started making him really constipated. soy will do that! i ended up switching his formula to a partially-milk based and luckily it worked and it still doesnt give him gas. before i switched though the doctor suggested adding a little more water to the formula. i know people say not to do this cuz they don't get all the nutrients but i only did it for a few feedings a day and it worked like a charm and hes perfectly healthy. i dont know how old your son is now but prunes or prunce juice might help! or any food with high fiber. good luck!
    Anonymous

• Just FYI, babies are not allergic to breastmilk. He was having a reaction to something in your diet that he was getting through your milk. You could have changed your diet and continued to breastfeed. Sorry to hear the little guys tummy is hurting him.... have you tried baby prunes? Also you can do this a couple times a day...lay him on his back and gently smush his knees into his belly one at a time and then together. Do this for a few minutes at a time, and it really helps with digestion and moving things through.
    Anonymous

• Exactly anon 9:21! I was thinking the same thing...
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• If you stopped breastfeeding recently you may want to consider relactating. The probability of your child being lactose intolerant is next to nothing. A truly lactose intolerant baby would fail to thrive from birth (ie not even start to gain weight), and show obvious symptoms of malabsorption and dehydration. The problem is usually a milk protein allergy or intolerance. The best way to help a baby in that situation is to continue to breastfeed but mom has to cut dairy from her diet. It normally takes around 2 weeks to eliminate the proteins from mom's body (& breastmilk).

Anonymous

• What doctor told you your child was lactose intolerant? Do you mean you switched to formula and were told that? I don't think babies can be intolerant to breast milk.
    Anyway, you might try the Milk of Magnesia. A little prune juice might help also.
    Sorry he's so miserable.
    We used Carnation brand soy formula, and it's supposed to be easier to digest. We didn't have constipation problems on that. You might try that brand. It's also a little cheaper than some.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• i would talk to your pedi - it isnt uncommon for a child that has dairy problems to also have soy problems...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 10:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• My dr told me the same thing. They put my baby on soy formula and he got horrid const. I started giving him 4 oz. of apple juice everyday and that helped. Also you can safely add a couple tablespoons of dark karo syrup to a bottle and that really helps too. Good luck momma!
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 6:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2008