Does your jaw ever pop?

Once in a while does your jaw pop when you open your mouth wide or something? Is that normal? Cause when I went to the dentist a while ago he asked if it ever popped and I said no (cause it didn't happen often enough to remember) but now that I think of it..is that like a serious problem? Thanks, worry wort =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Health

• Hmmm... mine does... is that bad?!?! Lol..
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 9:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I know if it happens once in a while it could be from chewing gum after not having chewed gum for a while, cause that's happened to me.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• TMJ
    Anonymous

• Mine does because I have a TMJ problem, it's a problem with the joint at least in my case caused by clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth when I sleep. I need to wear a bite guard when I sleep. It's gotten a lot better since I've gotten my bite guard. It used to crack and pop painfully all the time and my jaw got stuck closed twice to were I could only open my mouth half an inch or so for days, it made eating really difficult! If yours is popping so rarely that you aren't sure when the dentist asks, then you probably don't have a problem or at least not enough to need treatment.
    JenEliBella

Answer by JenEliBella at 9:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Mine does in the morning after I wake up. My friend jokes that while I'm sleeping it is the only time I'm not running my mouth so it stiffens up..:-)

TMJ only plays a part in the popping if it is associated with pain. That is when you should get it checked.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Thanks a lot
    Anonymous

• It's called TMJ...It's from grinding on your teeth usually because of or from stress, usually at night when you are asleep. But you can be grinding during the day too without even realizing it. People will grind in traffic or at a stressful job. I wear a mouth piece like the kind football players wear to help stop the grinding. If you continue to grind your mouth can lock up and you will grind your teeth down. After wearing the mouth piece a while you will stop grinding all the time. Also, chewing gum will make it worse and you will be told to stop chewing. I would recommend asking your Dentist to do a test on you for TMJ...
    Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• mine does not but my husbands does all the time if he opens his mouth wide such as going down, yawning, or eating somethings.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Most everyone experiences it occasionally. If it happens kinda regularly, then you likely have TMJ. Unless it is causing problems, it is usually something people just live with. Mine was caused by my wisdom teeth coming in when I was pregnant the first time. Because of the pregnancy, they couldn't do anything about them...for a couple of months I couldn't even close my back teeth together all the way. My jaw still pops, mostly when I'm chewing gum or something like steak where it requires a significant amount of chewing.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:23 AM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Mine does that and it got to hurting a longtime ago so I went to a doctor about it,I grindmy teeth in my sleep,he said I have mild TMJ,alot of people have it my jaw dont hurt but it still pops.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 3:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008