Question about what's legal when you don't pay your rent

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING TO ME I WAS JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE OF SOMETHING I SAW TODAY WHERE I LIVE

Okay let's say I didn't pay my rent for say 2-3 month. Does the apartment have every right to lock me out of my apartment and keep me from my stuff? Can they hire movers to take my stuff out and place it into a storage unit until I pay my rent then they'll give me my stuff back?

I'm wondering this because I had neighbors that moved in a few months ago and then today I saw people who work for the apartments moving all their stuff out into a moving truck and the people who lived their where no where in site.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It is legal in some states AFTER a notice of eviction has been served.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• In my state, a landlord or management group has to go through the legal eviction process. Once that is completed, they can go in and put all the tenant's stuff out on the curb. I have never seen a landlord bother to move the stuff into storage. They're already out money, so they just want to put the crap out, get the house or apt. cleaned up, and re-rent it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Here after eviction the landlord has to put it in storage at their own expense and can dispose of it 60 days later. They have to inform the ex tenants of where the stuff is

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• It varies state to state, but mostly they have to have legally evicted them. Which can happen in 2-3 months.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• In my state, no, that's not legal. It's all civil and they would need to legally have them evicted or they can be sued in small claims court.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I don't know. I would think they could anything they want since the tenants haven't paid rent for 2-3 months.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:06 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Interesting. They moved and basically abandoned all of their crap. My guess is that the landlord was donating it all to Goodwill or chucking it all in the dump. The apartment across from our house has evictions rather frequently..2-3 a year...that landlord posts a sign, then three days later dumps all of their stuff into the courtyard of the apartment. We live near the local college and the people around here just take whatever they want. So after a couple of days, anything left, the landlord takes to the dump.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:07 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• In my state they have every right to move your stuff to the curb once you are legally evicted meaning it went through court.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2010