My newborn won't keep his mouth wide open during breastfeeding - and it hurts!

Any ideas?

debbiemn1979

Asked by debbiemn1979 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you helping him latch? You can help him get the whole areola into his mouth by 'pinching' it slightly making it easier for him to get it all in his mouth?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I had that problem with my first daughter. When your baby is latched pull his mouth open to get his mouth completely open to where your areola is completely is his mouth. He is just learning just as you are. It takes some time, but don't give up.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Is hard at first to put em to latch cuz they just new borns but if u keep trying and as she said try to put ur whole areola into his/ her mouth he/ she would learn to open. Bigger e very time he/ she latches!! Best of luck don't let d pain stop u from breast feeding it actually don't hurt as much when u keep doing it I have done it for both of my kids and doing it again for now soon 3 rd. Baby!!
    May787

Answer by May787 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• im breastfeeding for the first time to n in the begining it hurt but it gets better dont stop
    ashant2330

Answer by ashant2330 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• make sure befor you are latching him on hes opening wide if he latches on and it hurts un latch him and try it again pinch your areola down abit to hlp him get the whole thing. It shouldnt hurt to breastfeed so if it hurts hes latched on wrong. Yes breastfeeding is uncomfortble the first few weeks due to cracked nipples and engorgment but it shouldnt hurt when hes latched on right. Also if you continue to have trouble call your local hospital and ask to speak with a lactation consultent that can help you and baby learn. Good luck and congrats on new baby.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• If baby is not latched on right, it will hurt. Take your nipple in between your two fingers...( make a peace sign with your fingers) and then when baby latches on make sure that his lips touch both of your fingers. That way you know she is latched on properly. Don't give up..both of you will soon be really good at it. It should stop hurting after a couple of weeks...right now you are probably engorged. Take Hot wash rags to soothe them afterward or sit in a hot bath with them in the water. Congratulations on your new baby. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i have heard (but i'm no guru) that sugar water *can* help a child attach better...i used it in the hospital and they gave me a few vials to take home, they said a couple of drops and that's enough to get him interested enough to latch
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• see if you can get consultation with a lactation consultant...maybe your hospital's maternity wing knows of one, or your local WIC office. Also, there is a great book that I found helped me when breastfeeding my children. It's called "The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver" by Claire Martin. It's formatted in a way that you can look up information alphabetically by subject, such as L for lactation, with a question and answer format.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 9:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Sugar water does help! I used it with my daughter also. Just put a few drops on your nipple. It might help you as well.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• unlatch and relatch. repeat. As many times as necessary until he gets it. Is he latching then slipping? or not latching well at all?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 23, 2010