Who also thinks "For Better or for Worse" just needs to be removed from wedding vows?

Some people take that way to seriously. They say it should be for better or for worse, no matter what.

Sorry, there is no way I'm sticking with a man that can't keep his dick in his pants, risking giving me a serious STD, a man that beats on me or my children, one that's anyway abusive (emotionally/physically) Becomes an addict that refuses to give up his addiction or commits a serious crime for the hell of it like kill or rob a bank. Or become s a perv.

I've seen a few times on here, where some women throw that in other women face. "Well you shouldn't have married him if you couldn't keep your vows, for better or for worse" So a man can break is vows and a woman just needs to suck it up and deal with it? I know women breaks vows to but it's more common for a man to do it

*EDIT* Read first page of answers

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm a firm believe that marriage should be abolished all together. Hear me out before you beat the shit out of me! The reason we get hurt when our husband do something to us is because our husbands, they are suppose to care, love, respect and be considerate of us but they aren't and we get upset. If they were just some other guy, it wouldn't really matter. Also, fidelity is something that is suppose to belong to the married couple alone. Something special just for them but once cheating does happen, reality is, whatever made your marriage just YOUR marriage is gone, so in a sense....the marriage you had together is gone and can never come back. To many lines get crossed on that one to be repairable.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think that means more things that are beyond your control,like money woes,fire,tornadoes,etc,not infidelity or abuse

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I thought it was pretty common to write your own vows these days, am I wrong??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When I married my husband 27 yrs ago I took the vows “for better or worse" to mean when things were good, ie. job, good income etc. to things going bad such as the opposite. I'm sure it wasn't inserted to mean the way you are interpeting it. Because the laws as they are would lock an a-hole up for beating his SO!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• i think when people say for better or worse they are meaning through bad times like money problems bad health things worth sticking it out obviously you arnt going to stay with someone who is harming you or your children or someone who has cheated although if someone has cheated you may want to take a good look into your marriege because usually they have cheated but not for the sex there is usually something else missing in their marriege.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• They actually weren't in my wedding vows. In traditional Jewish wedding vows a man says: "Haray at mekudeshet lee beh-taba'at zo keh-dat Moshe veh-Yisrael," which translates into, "Behold, you are consecrated to me with this ring according to the laws of Moses and Israel."

In an orthodox setting the woman traditionally says nothing. I said "Ani l'dodi v'dodi li." I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine. Simple, straight to the point and no obeying, etc…
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:43 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Even the Catholic church which is against Divorce allows an "anulment" through the church for issues such as cheating, addiction, and abuse.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 8:47 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Its like for in sickness and health or richer or poorer. I don't think it means stick it out through affairs. That is a deal breaker for sure. I think Butterfly blue said it pretty well
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think of it as if you get ill not if you get cheated on. I think it should stay

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• No some people writ either own . but people also just use the generic one that's already written n
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010