My son will not stay asleep.

I need some help. Tj only naps for twenty or thirty minutes at a time and when it's bedtime he'll sleep for a few hours but always wakes up between 1 and 2 am and will only go back to sleep after 4 or 5. We've tried putting him on a schedule but it doesn't work. I'm afraid he's not getting enough sleep. He'll be five months tomorrow, when he was one month he'd sleep through the whole night and this just started, maybe a few weeks ago. He just started being really fussy.

lilmisscheerio

Asked by lilmisscheerio at 8:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like he's getting his days and nights mixed up, happens often with babies when their schedules get messed up, and let's face it, with the holidays here it is nearly impossible to keep a schedule, especially a sleeping one.
    Best thing to do would be to keep him up during the day any means possible, if you DO have to lay him down, let hiim cry himself back to sleep, it will only last a few minutes since I'm sure you probably are a good mom and come running at the first whimper your precious child emits (no sarcasm, just been there done that, didn't work too well when baby 2, and 3 came along). Letting a child cry it out is just fine no matter what other moms have to say about it. As a mom with 5 kids trust me, crying it out is fine. Those who disagree either only have one child or multiple children spaced years apart instead of close together. It will help get your son back on track and strengthen his lungs.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:45 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Do not let your 5month old baby cry himself to sleep im sorry but no. Im sure hes just going through a stage and it happens. I suggest reading the book by elizabeth pantly no cry sleep solution its a great book for sleep training your baby works wounders i was at my wits end with our little one by a year old but dont believe in letting your baby cry themselfs to sleep.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Could be a growth spurt. Feed him with minimal stimulation, as little light as possible, keep the environment conducive to sleep while he's awake.
    Anonymous

• CIO is for lazy moms! I dont agree with it at all. As a mother of 3, I couldnt imagine letting one of my kids CIO. anyway, for your little one, try feeding him a heafty last bottle with cereal in it, it will keep him full and help keep him asleep longer, then when he wakes again, do the same thing and keep the lights dim, and make sure the room and him arent too hot, heat interupts sleep. GL momma.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 6:37 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• It's normal for children to not sleep throught the night until they are 3 or older. Your son's sleep pattern sounds perfectly normal. Actually sleeping 5 hours is considered sleeping throught the night. Some babies don't sleep (alone in a bed) during the day. They may nod off while feeding or in a car seat. Your baby may not go back to sleep at 1 or 2 because you want him to go back in the crib. If you put him in bed with you he might be able to go back to sleep. Sleeping with mom is the norm in most countries but is only safe if you are breastfeeding, no one smokes in the home, and you meet other safe co-sleeping guidelines.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:42 AM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Thank You all. Tj isn't a cryer, he never has been. We tried to keep him up all day but he would get very fussy and still wouldn't sleep at night. So we let him nap whenever he wanted to and surprisingly that has worked. He naps whenever he gets tired for 10 or 20 minutes and when we put him in his bassinet at night he sleeps all the way through. I will try the heavy bottle thing though. Thanks again moms.
    lilmisscheerio

Comment by lilmisscheerio (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2010