Why would you do this to a two year old??

Ok, ladies here's what happened. A lady and her daughter went into the mall yesterday and the two year girl turned around to a lady, smiled, and very loudly wished her a Merry Christmas. Cute, right? The woman didn't think so. The woman automatically started yelling at the two year old. "Christmas is over rated". "I'm Jewish I don't celebrate Christmas I celebrate Hanukah". "I'm offended". "How dare you!" Remember, this woman is yelling all of this at the two year old. The mother told the woman to knock it off, when she didn't the mother punched the woman in the face. The lady calls the cops to have the mom arrested. The mom explains what happened and the cop refused to arrest her and basically yelled at the lady. All week I have seen the debates of "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas". We were all civil about it. Why couldn't that woman just smile and say thank you. Why would you do this to a two year old???

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 9:24 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• It seems both adults were acting childish. The woman could have just smiled at the child but since she over reacted, the mother should have just walked away.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:26 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Wow...that is deplorable. How sad for that child who was merely trying to be joyful and spread cheer as they have been taught. The mother shouldn't have punched the woman, but when a stranger is screaming at your child and making a scene you know your blood would be boiling. What a horrible situation for all parties involved. I really feel bad for the toddler. And that women needs to take a class on etiquette. Or stay out of public and stand and scream at herself in the mirror if she is so damn bitter.
    FOCOMomma

Answer by FOCOMomma at 9:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Her heart was hardened by family who are gone and family who are ignoring her and she is taking it out an eveyone including young impressionable babies!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 9:28 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• You would have let her get away with screaming at your kid even after you asked her to stop? I don't just mean she said it. I mean she was yelling so loud the whole store was looking.
    bseastrand

Comment by bseastrand (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I love that little girl, I love her mom and I love the cops! MERRY CHRISTMAS! I don't care what holiday you are wishing me, if a child is spreading joy, she should get it back.

That poor little girl, I am very worried about how this will affect her and her perception of the world and memories of Christmas, but she must have a wonderful mother to stand up for her like that, go mommy.
    DoveMomma

Answer by DoveMomma at 9:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Yes. I would have walked away and left her looking like a fool. Why add fuel to the fire and make a scene? Sometimes it's best to just walk away.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:31 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I think that you should say happy or merry whatever holiday you celebrate. If someone doesn't like it them don't go out around the holidays.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I'm tired of worrying about "offending" people. It isn't my problem that some people don't celebrate Christmas. Just like it isn't anyone's problem that I don't celebrate non-Christian holidays. I would not be offended if someone wished me a happy whatever holiday...I would would happy that they wanted to include me in a well wish for something that was important to them. People need to lighten up.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• actually I would let her get away with it because I am a bigger person and can control myself. I know how to walk away...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 9:53 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• Both ADULTS acted childish. The mom should have taken her daughter and walked away. She could have been the ADULT and bigger person and walked away instead of causing a scene in front of her daughter. All she did was teach her daughter it is ok to use violence to solve a problem that she could have just walked away from.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010