How often do your kids get sick? What do you do to prevent them from getting ill?

My kids keep getting sick and I have recieved advice such as cleaning toys after they get well to prevent getting the same illness again and opening up windows and taking walks (both of which we DO)....we also give them vitamin C daily, as well as a multivitamin. What else can I do? They seem to have a cold every month!
How do you prevent your kids from getting sick?
How often do they get sick?
Do you clean toys and go crazy with the disinfectant in the house after they're sick?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 9:25 PM on Dec. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We wash hands after every time we use the restroom and before eating, cover our coughs and sneezes, and eat healthy. He only gets sick maybe twice a year. He's not in daycare, so I know that makes a huge difference, but he does play with lots of other kids we know, and we play in public play places where germs are likely rampant.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• really not as often as when my oldest went to day care! we wash hands often and keep the toys clean but,,,,
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My son is just now sick with a minor cold for the first time and he's 15 months. I do always use the sanitizing wipes on carts and I always wash my hands before serving him food or anything, as well as his own hands. He eat well and receives good nutrition. That's about all I do to try to prevent something. Oh, and my house is clean.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:27 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• My toddler seems to be getting sick every friggin month. I try to keep her as healthy as possible by giving her vitamins, having her eat right, drinking orange juice, keeping her stuff clean. I guess there's only so much us mommies can do though.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:48 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• unfortunately toddlers catch alot of bugs, this is how the immune system works....multivitamins are great, we also have probiotics , good nutrition is also very important.....teach good hygeine,cough into your elbow,disopose of tissues and always wash your hands, lysol off the phones,keyboards,doorknobs,etc.....wash your linens and towels in hot water....I am also a fan of the flu shot for everyone over 6 months of age....my daughter has survived to the ripe old age of 11 1/2 with my basic mommy/nursing skills(I'm an LPN).....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:04 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• rarely.we wash our hands a lot and use sanitizer if we are away from home and eating well
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• my kids only get seasonal allergies, the last time my dd was sick she was 2 (she's 4 now) and she had the flu but that's when i was working at a daycare and got to take her for free....she, like i am, is ocd about handwashing
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• When the first person in the house gets sick, I go around with clorox wipes and do all of the doorknobs, light switches, remotes, toilet and sink handles, etc to minimize spread.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 3:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• Hardly ever. He will maybe get sick once/year. He even goes to preschool. He has super immune system!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2010

• My son has asthma. I was told when i clean his toys to do it like a childcare center would. Dip them in a sink full of water and a cap full of bleach, because the sprays would mess with his breathing, It seems to me that you are doing everything right with giving them the vitams and everything. I would start using the bleach cap full. Also if its a cold and there having trouble breathing i would not use any sprays to keep your house smelling good because that can trigger things to. I use a humitifer on a daily bases because somtimes my son just wakes up in the morning and is really sick because he got to hot in the night and the humitifer will help.
    2009mommytobe

Answer by 2009mommytobe at 11:44 AM on Dec. 25, 2010